Batzner Pest Management, New Berlin, joins the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) in
celebrating April as National Pest Management Month, an observance that has been taking place for
more than 30 years.
In honor of this special month, both Batzner and the NPMA this year are raising awareness about
the public health risks posed by structural pests and encouraging business and home owners to take
proactive steps to prevent pest infestations in their properties.
“A pest is capable of spreading human disease(s) or otherwise impacting human health, so controlling
that pest becomes a public health concern. People should know that the risks of pest infestations can
include tick-borne and/or mosquito-borne diseases, injurious bites or stings from rodents or insects, and
respiratory irritation from exposure to cockroach litter,“ says Jerry Batzner, president of the family-
owned pest management company bearing his name. “Cockroach allergens are known to trigger asthma
attacks, especially in children. Mosquitoes can carry West Nile virus, and stinging insects send more than
half a million people to the emergency room every year. Pests, such as mice, cockroaches, and flies
also have the ability to transfer pathogens of food borne illnesses, he says.
“People should also be aware of the serious property threats that pests like termites, carpenter ants
and rodents can pose.” Batzner explains that termites and carpenter ants have the ability to chew
through wood beams, walls, floors and even wallpaper and cause costly damage. Rodents can spark
house fires if they gnaw through electrical wiring or build nests close to heat sources.
“During April, we’re urging property owners to learn more about pest management and to take steps
to prevent infestations before they occur. Pest pressure increases significantly in spring and summer,
which is why simple measures like sealing cracks and crevices around the home, keeping kitchen
counters and floors clean and free of crumbs, sealing garbage cans and eliminating sources of still-
standing water on your property now can go a long way in preventing pests from making a home in
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Work At Home Scam Targets College Students
- Wisconsin nominees named in WELCOA’s national Top 100 Health Promotion Professionals
- Germantown 7th Grade Hawks Win the Oconomowoc Tournament Championship
- SCORE announces February Business Training Schedule
- Miss West Allis/New Berlin Scholarship Program
- Bartelt Named "Best of Houzz 2015"
- UW MadHatters to Perform at Wauwatosa West
- Free Financial Counseling Sessions Being Offered By The Waukesha-Ozaukee-Washington Workforce Development Board Through March 2015.
- Free Financial Literacy Workshops Being Offered by the Waukesha-Ozaukee-Washington Workforce Development Board Through March 2015
- Bartelt Wins Two Gold Wisconsin Remodeler of the Year Awards