Young Germantown resident performs in First Stage Children’s Theater’s production of THE WIZ
Young Germantown resident, Lexi Stecker Janssen, will appear in First Stage Children’s Theater musical production of THE WIZ, playing at the Todd Wehr Theater through March 28.
Lexi is 11 years old and has been acting in musicals since she was in kindergarten at St. Mary’s, where she fell in love with musical theater. Lexi has also been a dancer since she was three years old. She has been very involved in various school musicals, including HOODWINKED and BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. Lexi also sings in her church’s children’s choir and in her school choir.
Lexi was inspired to audition for THE WIZ because of her love of musical theater, her fascination with the story line, for the endless support and encouragement of her mom and sister and for the encouragement by her music and drama teacher at St. Mary’s, Marie Green Makal.
“My favorite part about performing in THE WIZ is being able to act with all of the young performers and meeting new friends with the same love for musical theater,” says Lexi. “I also love being able to work with all of the amazing directors, stage managers, choreographers, costume crew and technical crew at First Stage.”
In all First Stage productions, the young performer roles are double-cast – the Glitter Cast and the Gold Cast. Lexi is a member of the Gold Cast, where she will be playing the role of a munchkin in THE WIZ.
Lexi says, “People should come to see THE WIZ because it is truly a unique, one of a kind musical. Everyone will absolutely love the Munchkins!”
THE WIZ is based on the timeless classic, “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz,” written in 1900 by L. Frank Baum, only with a more modern, soulful twist. Much of the plot from the book is similar, yet the characters are more contemporary that what most know from the book and its subsequent 1939 film. THE WIZ joins Dorothy and her friends Scarecrow, Tinman and the Cowardly Lion through their fabulous journey as they ease on down the yellow brick road in an urban land of Oz.
THE WIZ runs through March 28, 2010 at the Todd Wehr Theater in the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts, 929 N. Water Street in downtown Milwaukee. For more information, please visit www.FirstStage.org or call (414) 273-7206.
This article was written by Bridget Moore
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wisconsin Kitchen Mart Takes the Mystery Out of Remodeling
- Local Converters and Packaging Suppliers Invited to Attend the Label & Package Printing Industry Day, June 25, in Milwaukee
- Four New Summer Music Classes Offered at White House of Music, Waukesha
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- Johnson Bank Volunteers at Mequon Nature Preserve
- WAMI Award Winner Singer/Songwriter Nora Collins
- Milwaukee to Host 2015 USA Ultimate Division 1 College Championships, May 22-25 at Uihlein Park
- Milwaukee Non-profit Aiding Children in Foster Care Seeks Help
- BBB WGA Offers Tips to Avoid Donor Deception
- Milwaukee/NARI Foundation Announces Results of 2015 Rummage Sale