Young Germantown resident performs in First Stage Children’s Theater’s production of THE WIZ
Young Germantown resident, Lexi Stecker Janssen, will appear in First Stage Children’s Theater musical production of THE WIZ, playing at the Todd Wehr Theater through March 28.
Lexi is 11 years old and has been acting in musicals since she was in kindergarten at St. Mary’s, where she fell in love with musical theater. Lexi has also been a dancer since she was three years old. She has been very involved in various school musicals, including HOODWINKED and BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. Lexi also sings in her church’s children’s choir and in her school choir.
Lexi was inspired to audition for THE WIZ because of her love of musical theater, her fascination with the story line, for the endless support and encouragement of her mom and sister and for the encouragement by her music and drama teacher at St. Mary’s, Marie Green Makal.
“My favorite part about performing in THE WIZ is being able to act with all of the young performers and meeting new friends with the same love for musical theater,” says Lexi. “I also love being able to work with all of the amazing directors, stage managers, choreographers, costume crew and technical crew at First Stage.”
In all First Stage productions, the young performer roles are double-cast – the Glitter Cast and the Gold Cast. Lexi is a member of the Gold Cast, where she will be playing the role of a munchkin in THE WIZ.
Lexi says, “People should come to see THE WIZ because it is truly a unique, one of a kind musical. Everyone will absolutely love the Munchkins!”
THE WIZ is based on the timeless classic, “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz,” written in 1900 by L. Frank Baum, only with a more modern, soulful twist. Much of the plot from the book is similar, yet the characters are more contemporary that what most know from the book and its subsequent 1939 film. THE WIZ joins Dorothy and her friends Scarecrow, Tinman and the Cowardly Lion through their fabulous journey as they ease on down the yellow brick road in an urban land of Oz.
THE WIZ runs through March 28, 2010 at the Todd Wehr Theater in the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts, 929 N. Water Street in downtown Milwaukee. For more information, please visit www.FirstStage.org or call (414) 273-7206.
This article was written by Bridget Moore
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- ATI Physical Therapy Offers Complimentary Screenings at All Locations
- Graphics Systems Corp. Expands Executive Team with Manufacturing Industry Veteran
- Take Sunday Dinner Pledge To Benefit Meals On Wheels
- UMDF Energy For Life Walk Held at Greenfield Park on September 26
- The UMDF Energy for Life Walk is September 26th!
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin to Host Declaration for Donations Blood Drive
- Internet Safety Month is a Reminder to Check Children’s Online Activities
- Help Prevent Seniors from Becoming Scam Victims
- Germantown Youth Futures Recognizes Industrial Recyclers
- Russ Darrow Group Dealerships Ranked Top 25 “Best Places to Work”