Five finalists advance to Regional Spelling Bee
A total of 39 students in fifth through eighth grades competed Jan. 13 in the annual District Spelling Bee at Templeton Middle School. The “district” is a geographical area defined by CESA #1, which sponsors district and regional bees. Four Hamilton School District elementary schools, Templeton Middle School, St. Agnes in Butler St. John’s in Lannon and Peace Lutheran Academy in Sussex constituted a district for the purpose of the spelling bee. Students who won classroom spelling bees vied for the honor of participating in the district event.
Templeton eighth-grader Robert Little emerged as the champion speller at the district event. Finalists were Maple Avenue fifth-grader Cole Cohorst, St. Agnes students Austin Langford and Erica Nadolski, and Templeton eighth-grader Jacob Storm. These students will advance Feb. 18 to the Regional Spelling Bee in North Lake. In honor of their spelling achievement, the top five spellers received trophies and all students received certificates.
Regional winners continue to the Wisconsin Spelling Bee, in hopes of qualifying for the Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee, held next June in Washington, D.C.
Students who competed in the District Spelling Bee were:
• Templeton - Joshua Anderson, Katherine Ciolkosz, Austin Dalzin, Tanner Hoeppner, Trevor Land, Drew Schreihart, Lucus Semb, Samantha Moore, Asia Lee, David Liang, Miranda Milbrath, Robert Little, Brett Neverman and Jacob Storm;
• St. Agnes - Austin Langford, Veronica Pieters, Erica Nadolski, Cameron Valuch;
• Marcy - Benjamin Saric, Andrew Seeman, Alexandra Stephens;
• Maple - Cole Cohorst, Tanner DeVorse, Brody Hunt;
• Woodside - Emily Erato, Ariana King, Jenna Pesick, Jason Schlaman and Chloe Simchick;
• Lannon - Erin Passow and Devin Sage;
• Peace Lutheran - David Haga, Rachel May, Christian McMiller and Matthias Woods;
• St. John’s - Ashley Bischel, Emily Wedell, Jacob Wiesneski and Brianna Zellmer.
Templeton reading specialist Patty Sankey, who coordinated the event, expressed appreciation to the Templeton Home & School organization for its support of the event.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Local Pastor Speaks on Church Persecution
- Milwaukee NARI Foundation Announces 2016 Spring Semester Scholarship Recipients
- Bartelt Wins 2016 Regional Contractor of the Year (CotY) Award
- Greater Menomonee Falls Foundation accepting grant applications
- UWP March Science Night - Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease
- Centers for Wellness & Natural Medicine Welcomes Dr. Erica Ackerman!
- Volunteer Center - Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Empty Bowls :: Soup Fundraiser for Food Pantry
- Wallner Builders Wins “Best of Houzz 2016” Award for Client Satisfaction