On Wednesday, March 19, 2014, 4-H youth form across Wisconsin gathered at the State Capitol in Madison to celebrate 100 years of 4-H in Wisconsin. Freistadt 4-H Friends were there to represent Germantown. They gathered at the Concourse hotel to listen to guest speakers to talk about the benefits of 4-H.
Afterwards, 4-H youth spoke to Wisconsin Representative Pat Strachota about their 4-H involvement. Youth also spoke with Alberta Darling’s aide, who asked, “What could we be doing as a legislature to help?” Youth leader Khia Kurtenbach replied that just being aware of what’s happening with 4-H is enough. Youth also met with lobbyist and former Wisconsin State Representative Bob Welch to learn about civic engagement and careers in government.
The day also included a tour of the Wisconsin State Capitol. Freistadt 4-H Friends meet at the Germantown library at 6:30 P.M. on the 3rd Monday of the month. For more information, call Kristie Kurtenbach, Freistadt Friends General Leader, at 262-643-4289.
Written by Ella Mudge, age 11
Reporter, Freistadt 4-H Friends
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Card Skimming: Can it Happen to You?
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin Announces 14th Annual Big League Blood Drive
- Callen Designer Suggests Modifications That Benefit People of All Ages
- SWIM STAFF NEEDED
- REMODELING INNOVATIONS GROUP DONATES TO EPILEPSY FOUNDATION SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN
- Vintage Base Ball & Car Show - August 16, 2015
- Breastfeeding Safely While Taking Medication for Anxiety and Depression
- Heading to the Fair? BBB Says Check Vendors Out First
- Summer Camp for Burn Injured Youth
- BBB Tip: Back-to-School Shopping Shouldn’t Break the Bank