On Wednesday, March 19, 2014, 4-H youth form across Wisconsin gathered at the State Capitol in Madison to celebrate 100 years of 4-H in Wisconsin. Freistadt 4-H Friends were there to represent Germantown. They gathered at the Concourse hotel to listen to guest speakers to talk about the benefits of 4-H.
Afterwards, 4-H youth spoke to Wisconsin Representative Pat Strachota about their 4-H involvement. Youth also spoke with Alberta Darling’s aide, who asked, “What could we be doing as a legislature to help?” Youth leader Khia Kurtenbach replied that just being aware of what’s happening with 4-H is enough. Youth also met with lobbyist and former Wisconsin State Representative Bob Welch to learn about civic engagement and careers in government.
The day also included a tour of the Wisconsin State Capitol. Freistadt 4-H Friends meet at the Germantown library at 6:30 P.M. on the 3rd Monday of the month. For more information, call Kristie Kurtenbach, Freistadt Friends General Leader, at 262-643-4289.
Written by Ella Mudge, age 11
Reporter, Freistadt 4-H Friends
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- GO Riteway Kicks Off School Bus Safety Week - October 19th
- Local Contractor on Mission to Educate First Time Homeowners
- HYMNS TRIUMPHANT, to be held October 17th at Holy Cross
- Concordia University Presents "Faces of Depression" Art Exhibit
- Bartelt Wins Two MBA Achievement Awards
- Kesslers Diamonds Opens Oct. 2 in Downtown Milwaukee
- Germantown High School Powder Puff 2015
- IT'S THIS SUNDAY - September 27th - BD Fall Community Rummage Sale
- Let's Dance Masquerade Fundraiser, Oct. 31
- See the World Up Close Without Leaving Home - Host with YFU USA!