Thirty-seven year old Anthony Porter, a Wisconsin athlete and Front End Associate at Sendicks in Germantown, is just one of thousands of people you can help this year by donating to Special Olympics Wisconsin (SOWI) on your state income tax form.
Donating a portion of your tax return to SOWI will not only ensure the organization can continue to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in 17 Olympic-type sports, it also helps offer athletes leadership training to build confidence and become more independent, improving their employability skills.
Porter said he was shy before he joined SOWI’s Athlete Leadership Program 14 years ago. Today, Porter works at Sendicks, a position he thanks Special Olympics for helping him secure.
“Special Olympics showed me I can not only do sports like other kids, it showed me I am capable of doing anything they can do,” Porter said. “[Special Olympics] showed me that people with disabilities can work. Special Olympics showed me that I can do it.”
Anthony is one of more than 1,150 SOWI athletes who are currently employed. According to Anna Schildgen, Porter is just one of many Sendiks employees who has an intellectual disability (ID); the family-owned business places great importance on employing individuals with ID.
“I’ve always worked with at least one person with special needs usually on the front-end customer service role and it’s always been a positive experience,” Schildgen said.
Donating is easy and gifts may be deductible on your 2014 taxes. Simply find the section called “Donations” and select Special Olympics in the listing of nonprofit organizations. Then, indicate the donation amount. Or, if you use a tax preparer, let them know how much you’d like to contribute. It’s that simple to give back to an organization that helps people like Anthony Porter succeed.
You can help reveal the champion in athletes like Porter. For more information on how you can make a donation on your state income tax form and make a difference in the lives of thousands, visit www.SpecialOlympicsWisconsin.org/taxcheckoff.
- Volunteer Center - Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Milwaukee Lutheran High School presents “Man of La Mancha”
- Walk MS Menomonee Falls is this Saturday!
- BBB Serving Wisconsin Holds Free Bi-Annual Shredding Event to Help Fight Identity Theft
- Come and visit us at the Old Courthouse Museum for Blast Into the Past Family Day
- Darling Applauds Germantown High School Anti-Drunk Driving Program
- Some of the finest one of a kind Jewelry can be found at Purloin Studio
- Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Go Green, Gold and Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Becky’s Blissful Bakery Enters Partnerships to Create Cutting-Edge Caramel Pairings; First of its Kind in the Caramel Industry