Young Germantown resident, Emily Foran, age 7, will appear in First Stage’s world premiere play TO THE PROMISED LAND, playing at the Todd Wehr Theater at the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts January 25 through February 10.
Set in late 1960s Milwaukee, the play seamlessly weaves together the story of Ruth, a young African-American girl reeling from the loss of her brother during recent Civil Rights actions, and that of Golda Meir, Israel’s first female prime minister, who had spent her formative years in Milwaukee. As Ruth draws on Golda Meir’s autobiography for inspiration a story between Milwaukee’s African-American and Jewish communities is shared as we follow both characters on their path to her own promised land.
After taking acting classes at First Stage for three years, Emily will make her theatrical debut on stage playing the role of Tzipka in TO THE PROMISED LAND. Emily enjoys acting for many reasons. “Not only is acting fun, but I also enjoy transforming into a different character,” she said. With this being Emily’s first production, she has learned that it is a lot of hard work, but in the end it is a lot of fun. “My favorite thing about First Stage is meeting new friends. I’ve enjoyed my experience so far and am very excited for the show,” Emily added.
“The play is about the journey of a young person searching for truth while struggling with the tests that come with life in an urban setting,” said Director Sheri Williams Pannell. “TO THE PROMISED LAND serves as a catalyst to encourage dialogue about Milwaukee history and
witness how one moment in time can impact the life of an impressionable young person,” she continued.
Emily has learned many things from this show but there is one thing that she learned the most. She said, “The best lesson I have learned from my role in this show is a new appreciation for history.”
TO THE PROMISED LAND runs through February 10. For more information, visit www.FirstStage.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- Johnson Bank Volunteers at Mequon Nature Preserve
- WAMI Award Winner Singer/Songwriter Nora Collins
- Milwaukee to Host 2015 USA Ultimate Division 1 College Championships, May 22-25 at Uihlein Park
- Milwaukee Non-profit Aiding Children in Foster Care Seeks Help
- BBB WGA Offers Tips to Avoid Donor Deception
- Milwaukee/NARI Foundation Announces Results of 2015 Rummage Sale
- BBB Names 2015 Business Ethics Award Winners
- Host a Student from Spain!!!
- Car Seat and Booster Safety Check