GERMANTOWN – Musicians from the Musikschule from Ismaning, Germany, will visit Germantown in May and perform at several area venues, including a special exchange concert with the Germantown High School Wind Symphony on May 22 at 7 p.m. at CrossWay Church, W156 N10041 Pilgrim Road, in Germantown.
The free concert is open to the public. The Wind Symphony will perform a popular slate of music, including selections from George and Ira Gershwin and “Bandancing.” The Musikschule will perform both as a traditional folk ensemble and as an American-styled Big Band, bringing to life the songs from the 1940s and 1950s.
Musikschule is a community musical organization with 30 members ranging in age from 14 to 62. This special exchange program, coordinated by former Germantown High School German teacher Linda Wall and director of bands James Barnes, has been in the planning process for more than three years. During their visit, Musikschule members will perform at Mai Fest in Germantown and Frühlingsfest in Milwaukee on May 19, present a concert in Bay View on May 21, and play at the Steinway Piano Gallery on North Avenue in Wauwatosa on May 23. They will be hosted by Germantown families and will enjoy a local fish fry, an Edelweiss cruise, the Harley-Davidson Museum and a Milwaukee Brewer’s game – complete with a tailgate party.
“This is a great opportunity for our students to spend time with people of other cultures,” stated Barnes. “It is an amazing phenomenon that, though members of the Musikschule and our students may not be able to speak a common language, they will still be able to play music together. Music is truly the international language.”
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Local Pastor Speaks on Church Persecution
- Milwaukee NARI Foundation Announces 2016 Spring Semester Scholarship Recipients
- Bartelt Wins 2016 Regional Contractor of the Year (CotY) Award
- Greater Menomonee Falls Foundation accepting grant applications
- UWP March Science Night - Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease
- Centers for Wellness & Natural Medicine Welcomes Dr. Erica Ackerman!
- Volunteer Center - Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Empty Bowls :: Soup Fundraiser for Food Pantry
- Wallner Builders Wins “Best of Houzz 2016” Award for Client Satisfaction