Willow Springs Learning Center speech pathologist Barb Michalak was named the Wisconsin Early Childhood Special Education Teacher of the Year by the Wisconsin Division for Early Childhood. Michalak was nominated by Hamilton Special Services Supervisor Mardi Freeman for the award that honors an educator who goes beyond teaching to empower families in providing the best for their children. Wisconsin educators who serve children under the age of six with special needs are eligible to be nominated.
Freeman noted Michalak’s years of dedicated service and willingness to go above and beyond to engage students and their families. Michalak is actively involved in the district’s Preschool Options initiative, presents at numerous parent, daycare and preschool information nights, and teaches a summer school class each year in which she creatively encourages students to develop their language through play.
A parent of Michalak’s students wrote in support of her nomination acknowledging her professionalism and competence. She described Michalak as a phenomenal speech therapist who is highly respected for her excellent work and knowledge of language delays and speech impairments. She noted Michalak valued parent involvement, often offering suggestions for things that could be done at home to stimulate language growth.
Michalak received her award Oct. 21 at the 2011 Above and Beyond Professional Development Luncheon which was part of the Wisconsin Early Care and Education Conference in Appleton.
Photo caption: (from left) Willow Springs staff members kindergarten teacher Rita Forrester, speech pathologist Barb Michalak and early childhood teacher Jamie Burczyk
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa ESPRIT POMS (Seniors) and ESPRIT POMS (Juniors) Earn First Place and Second Places Honors at Badger State Pom Competition in Madison, WI
- Encourage your kids to become involved in extracurriculars
- Northshore Physical Therapy Offers Free Pain/Injury Screenings with Humane Society Donations
- Edward Zapencki Continued to Collect Money From Businesses for Fun Maps He Didn’t Deliver
- Community invited to holiday concert
- Hamilton National Honor Society hosts food drive
- Hamilton students selected for Honors Band Festival
- Germantown High School Recognizes the October Students of the Month
- 2014 Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Show Scheduled
- St. Mary School eighth grade students Delve Deeper Into Underwater Exploration at Discovery World