Track star Widule chooses Wisconsin
Hurdler had tempting offer to Notre Dame, but likes tradition in Madison
Menomonee Falls - Going with both his heart and his head, Menomonee Falls state track champion Matt Widule has decided to attend the University of Wisconsin on scholarship.
"I'm pretty comfortable with my decision," he said. "I'm happy I made my decision on my gut feelings rather than any pressure I was feeling."
That pressure he was referring to included the substantial 75 percent scholarship offer that Notre Dame recently made to him that had an estimated value of up to $35,000 per school year.
Widule, who also made a visit to Minnesota, said Wisconsin made it known that it was quite serious about him.
"When I took my visit (to Madison), I just loved it," he said. "The thought of running and learning there is just amazing. I met (head coach) Ed Nuttycombe there and then he came to the school (Falls) after my visit. He said he loved my times (in the hurdles) and that he'd love to have me on his team.
"He also said 'I know you've heard that kind of thing a 1,000 times, but we really take care of our athletes here.' He was adamant about improving the hurdles and that I was a big part of that plan.
"I also like the prestige of Madison," Widule said. "The track program has a great history. They had the fifth-ranked recruiting class in the nation last year, and they're hoping to do even better this year."
Widule, the returning WIAA state 110 high hurdles state champion, is recently recovered from an ankle injury suffered in the football season. He was an impressive third in the 55-meter hurdles in the recently held AAU Indoor Nationals in Bloomington, Ill., an effort he would have liked to have improved upon.
It's all part of a process to have an even better season in 2010, he said.
"This is going to be a nice place to go to school," he said. "It's a relief that it's over, but I'm still excited about it.
"And I can't wait for it to all get going," he said. "It's only 14 days (until the start of track practice)."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Anderson and Showalter exchanging roles
- Germantown boys rout Madison East to earn finals berth
- Preps Alcove: SPASH writes familiar story and ends Germantown's ... for now
- Point ends Germantown basketball team's three-year state reign, 67-51
- Germantown boys basketball team rolls into final with 82-54 rout of East
- 2014 Warhawks measure up against past champions
- Germantown boys battle way back to state by beating Kimberly
- Success comes on many levels for Germantown basketball
- Germantown boys basketball team outlasts Homestead in physical semi, 50-42
- Boys basketball: Germantown boys basketball team heads back to state