Every day brings more good news to the rebuilding Germantown boys track team.
Behind victories from Dexter Schleis in the high hurdles and Wes Heupel in the pole vault, the Warhawks earned a solid third in their outdoor opener, the 16-school Racine Horlick Invite on April 18.
"We did more than OK," Warhawks co-coach Andy Bavlnka said. "The guys ran well, we had good weather and a couple of the events were just so competitive."
Germantown scored 69.5 points as Oak Creek was first with 97 and Racine Park second with 83.
Heupel settled for 12 feet for his win, while Schleis turned in a time of 15.25 seconds in claiming the 110-meter high hurdles by .09 seconds. Schleis was also fourth in the 300 intermediate hurdles (41.81) while teammate Eric Geisthardt was fifth (41.91).
Bavlnka said there was a lot of experimenting going on as the Warhawks were short-handed due to spring break. But he was pleased with a number of events, especially the 1,600 and 3,200 relay teams and the distances.
"We scored in every race above 200 meters," he said. "We're moving in the right direction."
Kyle Ditloff was second in the 3,200 (10:22.87), as was the 3,200 relay of Sean Pawlak, Gary Hackney, Geisthardt and Erik Prendergast (8:31.17). The 1,600 relay of Pawlak, Hackney, Jordan Lark and Prendergast was third (3:36.33) and Tim Trapp ran fourth in the 1,600 (4:40.28).
The Warhawks will be at full strength when they host their 14-school annual invite at 5 p.m. on Friday, April 24. Among the schools coming include Bay Port, Hartford, Homestead, Menomonee Falls, Bradley Tech and Neenah.
- Steven L. Tietz,
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Germantown boys basketball team completes 22-0 season with win over Port
- Sport Shorts: March 5, 2015
- Girls basketball: Germantown girls basketball team in regional final after 56-46 win
- Germantown boys basketball team clinches outright NSC crown over Homestead
- Mistake in the past, Germantown's Szohr now state wrestling favorite
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 26, 2015
- Germantown girls basketball team claims second undisputed North Shore title
- Germantown boys basketball team clinches outright NSC title
- Germantown girls basketball team wins 2nd outright North Shore crown
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 19, 2015