Veteran observers and in-the-know fans have clamored for round three ever since their sectional match on a snowy Feb. 21 afternoon in Hartford.
And now the state wrestling world will see if the one-point upset Jake Sueflohn of Arrowhead pulled on returning state champion Jesse Thielke of Germantown that day was merely a fluke or a sign of things a bit more seismic in nature.
The pair advanced to the Saturday 6 p.m. WIAA State Individual Tournament finals at the Kohl Center in Madison with decisive wins Friday night in the 125-pound semis. Thielke (42-1) recorded his third technical fall in as many state matches with a 20-5 rout of Mason Geary of DeForest (37-13) while Sueflohn (38-4) overpowered Matt Bruley of Oshkosh North (41-5), 5-0.
Thielke, who won the 112-pound title last season with an undefeated record, defeated Sueflohn 6-4 in regional competition before suffering the loss in the sectional final where the longer Sueflohn used a reach advantage to block many of the attacks Thielke attempted. It was the first high school-level loss for Thielke in two seasons.
The finals, as usual, are expected to be a sellout.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Menomonee Falls' Jones blanks Germantown, 2-0, in softball thriller
- Brookfield Central Jr. Lancer eighth-graders win fourth straight state title
- Young Germantown girls soccer team breaks out to 4-0 start
- Sport Shorts: April 23, 2015
- Showalter family Final Four experience memorable
- Germantown tennis team claims Muskego Invite
- Germantown golf team has strong showing at Washington County Invite
- Menomonee Falls boys track team starts on an up note
- Germantown's Showalter, with help, earns fourth All-Suburban Coach of the Year honors
- McCloud instrumental in Germantown's state run