Veteran observers and in-the-know fans have clamored for round three ever since their sectional match on a snowy Feb. 21 afternoon in Hartford.
And now the state wrestling world will see if the one-point upset Jake Sueflohn of Arrowhead pulled on returning state champion Jesse Thielke of Germantown that day was merely a fluke or a sign of things a bit more seismic in nature.
The pair advanced to the Saturday 6 p.m. WIAA State Individual Tournament finals at the Kohl Center in Madison with decisive wins Friday night in the 125-pound semis. Thielke (42-1) recorded his third technical fall in as many state matches with a 20-5 rout of Mason Geary of DeForest (37-13) while Sueflohn (38-4) overpowered Matt Bruley of Oshkosh North (41-5), 5-0.
Thielke, who won the 112-pound title last season with an undefeated record, defeated Sueflohn 6-4 in regional competition before suffering the loss in the sectional final where the longer Sueflohn used a reach advantage to block many of the attacks Thielke attempted. It was the first high school-level loss for Thielke in two seasons.
The finals, as usual, are expected to be a sellout.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sloppy Germantown boys basketball team roars past game Falls, 83-47
- High-speed Germantown girls overpower Falls, 73-54, in border clash
- Sloppy Germantown boys basketball team beats Falls for 60th straight
- Sports Wraps: Dec. 7
- Germantown girls basketball team overpowers Falls, 73-54
- Boys basketball: Early run keeps Germantown's streak intact
- Youthful Germantown grapplers come up just short of Bay in NSC dual opener
- Germantown chasing history
- Dixon's rally keys Bay wrestling team's 41-33 win over Germantown
- Engines on full-blast, Germantown boys roar to easy win in opener