Veteran observers and in-the-know fans have clamored for round three ever since their sectional match on a snowy Feb. 21 afternoon in Hartford.
And now the state wrestling world will see if the one-point upset Jake Sueflohn of Arrowhead pulled on returning state champion Jesse Thielke of Germantown that day was merely a fluke or a sign of things a bit more seismic in nature.
The pair advanced to the Saturday 6 p.m. WIAA State Individual Tournament finals at the Kohl Center in Madison with decisive wins Friday night in the 125-pound semis. Thielke (42-1) recorded his third technical fall in as many state matches with a 20-5 rout of Mason Geary of DeForest (37-13) while Sueflohn (38-4) overpowered Matt Bruley of Oshkosh North (41-5), 5-0.
Thielke, who won the 112-pound title last season with an undefeated record, defeated Sueflohn 6-4 in regional competition before suffering the loss in the sectional final where the longer Sueflohn used a reach advantage to block many of the attacks Thielke attempted. It was the first high school-level loss for Thielke in two seasons.
The finals, as usual, are expected to be a sellout.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Germantown boys aim for third straight state title after sectional win
- Girls basketball: Germantown's aerial assault keeps Kettle Moraine at bay
- Girls basketball: Germantown girls cruise past rival Falls
- GT wrestler Higginbotham's third in state shows pride in his work
- Germantown girls clinch outright NSC title with rout of Port
- Basketball: Germantown still too powerful for Arrowhead
- Daly, Crangle, Higginbotham make semis in WIAA state wrestling
- Top of the ladder: Germantown girls earn NSC hoops title
- Germantown's Higginbotham aims for a state wrestling title
- Germantown boys North Shore winning streak at 59 after thriller