Veteran observers and in-the-know fans have clamored for round three ever since their sectional match on a snowy Feb. 21 afternoon in Hartford.
And now the state wrestling world will see if the one-point upset Jake Sueflohn of Arrowhead pulled on returning state champion Jesse Thielke of Germantown that day was merely a fluke or a sign of things a bit more seismic in nature.
The pair advanced to the Saturday 6 p.m. WIAA State Individual Tournament finals at the Kohl Center in Madison with decisive wins Friday night in the 125-pound semis. Thielke (42-1) recorded his third technical fall in as many state matches with a 20-5 rout of Mason Geary of DeForest (37-13) while Sueflohn (38-4) overpowered Matt Bruley of Oshkosh North (41-5), 5-0.
Thielke, who won the 112-pound title last season with an undefeated record, defeated Sueflohn 6-4 in regional competition before suffering the loss in the sectional final where the longer Sueflohn used a reach advantage to block many of the attacks Thielke attempted. It was the first high school-level loss for Thielke in two seasons.
The finals, as usual, are expected to be a sellout.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Wraps: Sept. 4, 2014 issue
- Germantown football team improves to 2-0 with 41-7 blowout of Hartford
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Aug. 29
- Vikings' netters beat New Berlin Eisenhower, 6-1
- Football: Poll: Will Whitefish Bay or Germantown win in Week 3 matchup?
- Bay boys soccer team opens NSC defense with 3-0 win over GT
- Germantown swim team beats Falls, 97-79, in spirited dual
- Germantown football team rolls past Greenfield in opener, 56-7
- Football: Germantown affirms heavyweight status
- Menomonee Falls and Germantown autumn sports season gets underway