WIAA state qualifying golfer Phillip Johnson of Germantown took the bull by the horns last fall and now has a collegiate home for next school year.
Johnson, who is just getting his senior season for the Warhawks underway, will receive a 40 percent athletic and 40 percent academic scholarship to the University of Dayton (Ohio).
"I visited in the fall, and the coach expressed interest," said Johnson, "and over the winter break they offered me a scholarship. I loved the school and the coach was a great guy, so I pretty much committed that same day."
Johnson signed his national letter of intent last week. He finished 33rd individually last year in the WIAA state meet but said it was his offseason work that convinced Dayton officials to give him the scholarship.
"The coach liked that I was a hard worker," said Johnson. "He also liked my results in the summer tournaments (the Junior PGA circuit). I didn't have a great spring (for the Germantown team) but I did well in those tournaments including one at University Ridge (in Verona).
"He also liked the fact that I was an alternate for the US Junior Amateur and that I was also on the Wisconsin Cup team. That really helped."
Once at Dayton, Johnson intends to major in marketing and finance.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Germantown cross country teams look great just in time for NSC race
- Germantown's Sam Siebenaller sets records at big Evanston invite
- Last-second pick denies Germantown win against Bay in football thriller
- Germantown swimmers rally for win over D2 champ Grafton
- Football: Michael Kirkendoll's pick lifts Whitefish Bay football team over Germantown
- Germantown boys volleyball team earns top state ranking
- Top-ranked Germantown boys volleyball team fights off Nicolet
- Experienced Germantown boys volleyball team wins New Berlin title
- Germantown football team spoils Homestead's big night, 34-29
- Football: Germantown football team spoils Homestead's big night with 34-29 win