WIAA state qualifying golfer Phillip Johnson of Germantown took the bull by the horns last fall and now has a collegiate home for next school year.
Johnson, who is just getting his senior season for the Warhawks underway, will receive a 40 percent athletic and 40 percent academic scholarship to the University of Dayton (Ohio).
"I visited in the fall, and the coach expressed interest," said Johnson, "and over the winter break they offered me a scholarship. I loved the school and the coach was a great guy, so I pretty much committed that same day."
Johnson signed his national letter of intent last week. He finished 33rd individually last year in the WIAA state meet but said it was his offseason work that convinced Dayton officials to give him the scholarship.
"The coach liked that I was a hard worker," said Johnson. "He also liked my results in the summer tournaments (the Junior PGA circuit). I didn't have a great spring (for the Germantown team) but I did well in those tournaments including one at University Ridge (in Verona).
"He also liked the fact that I was an alternate for the US Junior Amateur and that I was also on the Wisconsin Cup team. That really helped."
Once at Dayton, Johnson intends to major in marketing and finance.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 26
- Tennis: Germantown's Graham, Sackett remembered at garden dedication
- Sport Shorts: Sept. 25, 2014 issue
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 19
- Sport Shorts: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Germantown ends six years of frustration against Cedarburg
- Germantown girls tennis team to honor Graham, Sackett
- Germantown girls cross country team adapts, wins Whitnall Invite
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 12
- Doran's "Pick 6" sparks Germantown to 48-31 win over Cedarburg