The Blue Knights opened with two out of three wins, beating Lake Country Lutheran, 88-57, Nov. 26 on the road.
Brookfield Academy showed excellent balance, as senior Sean Clarey scored 25 points, senior Nate Stolte had 13 points and three blocked shots, sophomore Joe Lemon had 12 points, 12 rebounds and four blocked shots, senior Josiah Marsh had 11 points, and sophomore Ryan Clarey had 9 points, 11 rebounds and six assists.
"Marsh is our floor leader who brings an edge and toughness to the court," coach Pat Clarey said. "Sean remains Sean, which is great to have.
"We have a much more balanced attack this year, plus some great contributors off the bench in seniors David Gramling and Jimmy McMullen and junior Griffin Oleszczuk."
On Nov. 29, Brookfield Academy defeated sixth-ranked Division 2 Pius XI, 71-65, in the Hank Raymonds Tournament at Pius.
The Blue Knights led wire-to-wire, with the play of the game turned in by Marsh, who stole an inbounds pass from Pius standout Donovan Jackson and then turned and found Sean Clarey streaking to the basket for a layup and a 69-65 lead. Ryan Clarey then rebounded a missed three by Jackson, was fouled and made both free throws.
"I truly believe I have the best two sophomores in the state in Ryan Clarey and Joe Lemon," coach Clarey said. "They simply do not flinch, and they play big in big moments.
"With Pius face-guarding Sean, we were able to get to the basket with Marsh and Ryan Clarey came up big with timely scores."
Top scorers were Sean Clarey with 19 points, Ryan Clarey with 18 points, Marsh with 16 points and Lemon with 10 points.
The next day BA played 13th-ranked Marquette for the tourney title and dropped an 86-54 decision. Ryan Clarey led the Knights with 23 points.
BA hosts conference rival University School of Milwaukee at 7:30 p.m. Friday.
— Tom Sky" Skibosh
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Shorts: March 13
- King is looking for revenge vs. Germantown at state
- Warhawks beat Falls in regional semifinal
- Girls score first regional title in two decades
- Moving on has been hard for Warhawks
- Let the fun begin, Germantown aiming at third straight state title
- Germantown boys aim for third straight state title after sectional win
- Girls basketball: Germantown's aerial assault keeps Kettle Moraine at bay
- Girls basketball: Germantown girls cruise past rival Falls
- GT wrestler Higginbotham's third in state shows pride in his work