With top performers Sammie Gassner (foot) and Leah Wheaton (knee) out before the season even started, the Germantown girls track team knew it had to improvise in the early going.
So far the plan is working, as the Warhawks, despite not a single event first still managed a strong second-place finish in the North Shore Conference Indoor at Cedarburg Tuesday night.
"All we could do going into this meet was what we could do," said coach Greg Siegert. "We just told the kids to do your best and forget about the rest, and look what we were able to do. We had just a ton of PRs tonight."
Germantown scored 80 points for its spot as Grafton won with 100 and defending champion Whitefish Bay was third with 75.
The Warhawks took four second place finishes to lead their efforts, as Jayne Bertieri took one in the 55-meter dash (7.86) while others went to Jennifer Ellis in the 55 hurdles (9.34), Bethany Laubenheimer in the long jump (16-3 1/2) and Melissa Asmondy in the shot put (34-2 3/4).
Siegert praised the efforts of Bertieri and Laubenheimer.
Thirds went to Beth Kuske in the high jump (4-10) and to the 1,600 relay team (4:29.5).
Other top six performances included the following: 200--Bertieri, fourth (28.8). 400--Ellis, fifth (1:06.68). 1,600--Caitlin Dillon, fourth (5:20.8). 55 hurdles--Taylor Edmonds, fifth (10.05). Four-lap relay--fifth (1:33.76). 3,200 relay--fourth (11:04.0). Pole vault--Cassidy Dunn, sixth (7-6). Long jump--Kuske, sixth (15-5). Shot put--Katelyn Turner, fifth (32-5 3/4).
"The kids knew what kind of situation that we were in (given the injuries)," said Siegert, "but the varsity group has been absolutely outstanding. They give 100 percent all the time. They've given the new things that we've been trying a real shot."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Young Germantown girls soccer team breaks out to 4-0 start
- Sport Shorts: April 23, 2015
- Showalter family Final Four experience memorable
- Germantown tennis team claims Muskego Invite
- Germantown golf team has strong showing at Washington County Invite
- Menomonee Falls boys track team starts on an up note
- Germantown's Showalter, with help, earns fourth All-Suburban Coach of the Year honors
- McCloud instrumental in Germantown's state run
- Germantown girls soccer team opens with win over Pewaukee
- Germantown Warhawk track teams compete well at Whitefish Bay