After his team won the WIAA State D1 championship last Saturday, Germantown boys basketball coach Steve Showalter was named the Associated Press State Boys Coach of the Year.
Showalter's son, Wisconsin-recruit 6-2 guard Zak Showalter, was narrowly edged out for AP state player of the year honors on a tie-breaking vote by 6-8 Sheboygan Lutheran forward Sam Dekker, whose last-second shot and 40 points lifted the Crusaders to a dramatic victory in the D5 state title game last Saturday.
Dekker is also a Wisconsin recruit and he Zak Showalter will be roommates at Wisconsin next fall.
"We have a great relationship," said Zak Showalter of Dekker. "He's a great kid and a tremendous athlete. That performance he turned in in the final was just remarkable."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Shorts: May 23
- Germantown boys strong effort comes up short in North Shore outdoor
- Sports Shorts: May 13
- Germantown softball team edges Bay, 1-0, to improve to 11-0 in NSC
- OUR TAKE
- Germantown, Falls golfers battle conditions, finish well at Port meet
- Sports Shorts: May 6
- Germantown netters gaining attention, win fourth tourney of season
- Precise Germantown girls track team gets just enough to defend NSC relays crown
- OUR TAKE