After his team won the WIAA State D1 championship last Saturday, Germantown boys basketball coach Steve Showalter was named the Associated Press State Boys Coach of the Year.
Showalter's son, Wisconsin-recruit 6-2 guard Zak Showalter, was narrowly edged out for AP state player of the year honors on a tie-breaking vote by 6-8 Sheboygan Lutheran forward Sam Dekker, whose last-second shot and 40 points lifted the Crusaders to a dramatic victory in the D5 state title game last Saturday.
Dekker is also a Wisconsin recruit and he Zak Showalter will be roommates at Wisconsin next fall.
"We have a great relationship," said Zak Showalter of Dekker. "He's a great kid and a tremendous athlete. That performance he turned in in the final was just remarkable."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hoops team moving on after 3rd state title
- 3 players show GT eras
- Germantown golfer Phillip Johnson gets scholarship to University of Dayton
- Warhawks team young, deep and off to 4-1 start
- Bay girls win 10 events to repeat as North Shore indoor track champs
- Bay and Homestead tie for North Shore boys track title
- Germantown cager Taylor Higginbotham earns All-Suburban honor
- 2 from GT are All-Suburban
- Germantown girls basketball set numerous records
- Sports Shorts: April 3