After his team won the WIAA State D1 championship last Saturday, Germantown boys basketball coach Steve Showalter was named the Associated Press State Boys Coach of the Year.
Showalter's son, Wisconsin-recruit 6-2 guard Zak Showalter, was narrowly edged out for AP state player of the year honors on a tie-breaking vote by 6-8 Sheboygan Lutheran forward Sam Dekker, whose last-second shot and 40 points lifted the Crusaders to a dramatic victory in the D5 state title game last Saturday.
Dekker is also a Wisconsin recruit and he Zak Showalter will be roommates at Wisconsin next fall.
"We have a great relationship," said Zak Showalter of Dekker. "He's a great kid and a tremendous athlete. That performance he turned in in the final was just remarkable."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Wraps: Sept. 4, 2014 issue
- Germantown football team improves to 2-0 with 41-7 blowout of Hartford
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Aug. 29
- Vikings' netters beat New Berlin Eisenhower, 6-1
- Football: Poll: Will Whitefish Bay or Germantown win in Week 3 matchup?
- Bay boys soccer team opens NSC defense with 3-0 win over GT
- Germantown swim team beats Falls, 97-79, in spirited dual
- Germantown football team rolls past Greenfield in opener, 56-7
- Football: Germantown affirms heavyweight status
- Menomonee Falls and Germantown autumn sports season gets underway