After his team won the WIAA State D1 championship last Saturday, Germantown boys basketball coach Steve Showalter was named the Associated Press State Boys Coach of the Year.
Showalter's son, Wisconsin-recruit 6-2 guard Zak Showalter, was narrowly edged out for AP state player of the year honors on a tie-breaking vote by 6-8 Sheboygan Lutheran forward Sam Dekker, whose last-second shot and 40 points lifted the Crusaders to a dramatic victory in the D5 state title game last Saturday.
Dekker is also a Wisconsin recruit and he Zak Showalter will be roommates at Wisconsin next fall.
"We have a great relationship," said Zak Showalter of Dekker. "He's a great kid and a tremendous athlete. That performance he turned in in the final was just remarkable."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Baseball: Homestead gets best of Germantown again
- Baseball: Germantown baseball team outlasts Cedarburg, 3-2, in 11 innings
- Club versus prep sports: Kids need to make choices
- Finger's win over NSC champ Whitefish Bay a boost for Germantown "9"
- Germantown's Finger blanks North Shore baseball champ Bay, 2-0
- Talent still there for Germantown boys basketball program
- Errors, mental mistakes hurt Germantown baseball team
- Germantown softball program a success behind coaches Raguse, Barbiaux
- Homestead baseball team gets help from G'town mistakes in 10-4 win
- Averkamp's pitching sparks Germantown baseball team to tourney title