After his team won the WIAA State D1 championship last Saturday, Germantown boys basketball coach Steve Showalter was named the Associated Press State Boys Coach of the Year.
Showalter's son, Wisconsin-recruit 6-2 guard Zak Showalter, was narrowly edged out for AP state player of the year honors on a tie-breaking vote by 6-8 Sheboygan Lutheran forward Sam Dekker, whose last-second shot and 40 points lifted the Crusaders to a dramatic victory in the D5 state title game last Saturday.
Dekker is also a Wisconsin recruit and he Zak Showalter will be roommates at Wisconsin next fall.
"We have a great relationship," said Zak Showalter of Dekker. "He's a great kid and a tremendous athlete. That performance he turned in in the final was just remarkable."
- Belief earns Germantown track teams many state berths
- Germantown doubles team Rait/Luo earns second state tennis berth
- Germantown softball team gets help en route to sixth NSC crown
- Germantown girls second, boys fourth in NSC track outdoor
- With some help, Germantown wins North Shore girls softball title
- Germantown boys track team shows depth in Cedarburg win
- Wrestling: Germantown's Jesse Thielke has support for Olympic wrestling berth
- Germantown girls win four events at NSC track relays
- Longtime assistant Steve Martin will adopt teacher-first mentality as new Germantown boys basketball coach
- Martin named new Germantown boys basketball coach