Germantown girls hit 10 threes in 72-41 rout of Port
11 players score as Hawks start 2012 well
Germantown - The Germantown girls basketball team won its last game of 2011 and made a resolution to start 2012 on an equally positive note.
And that's exactly what the Warhawks did Friday, hitting an impressive 10-of-19 3-pointers en route to a surprisingly easy 72-41 North Shore win over Port Washington.
In doing so, they had one little smirk-inducing accomplishment
"I think we outscored all the boys' teams (in the North Shore), too," Warhawks coach Matt Stuve said.
And they did, outscoring the Homestead boys (70) and even their own high-powered and unbeaten classmates (68) Friday.
The victory improved the Warhawks to 2-3 in North Shore play and 2-6 overall. Their momentum will get a steep challenge Friday, when they host defending state Division 1 champion and current NSC co-leader Nicolet (5-0, 11-0).
Stuve remains undaunted.
"Hey, we all know that they have three great players," he said, "but we have great balance right now, so we'll see if our 10 can defeat those three (Brittney Fair, Courtney Smith and Briana Gray). The kids are excited by the challenge.
"We'll play up to our potential and see what we can do."
The Warhawks proved to be more than a challenge for Port (0-5, 2-7) on Friday, as behind sophomore guard Paige Groth's 10 points, they raced out to a 19-10 first quarter lead and never looked back. The lead expanded to 37-17 at the half.
In total, 11 different Germantown players scored led by Miska Cantley with 13, Lauren Grotjahn with 13, Groth with 10 and Courtney Mehring with eight.
Six different players hit 3-pointers for the Warhawks including Cantley with four, Mehring with two and Groth, Taylor Higginbotham, Maggie Johnston and Grotjahn with one each.
"Our objective was to improve on what we did in 2011," Stuve said. "Our goal is to keep taking it to the next level. There were a lot of good things we did offensively today, including driving and kicking (to the open shooter). We really set ourselves up well. We got the shots we wanted to take and we hit them tonight.
"I also liked our balance. We only gave up 41 points, but our bench scored 40 points itself. We don't have an elite scorer but we have numbers. Right now, we have about seven kids averaging between four and eight points a game."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Germantown boys basketball team clinches outright NSC crown over Homestead
- Mistake in the past, Germantown's Szohr now state wrestling favorite
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 26, 2015
- Germantown girls basketball team claims second undisputed North Shore title
- Germantown boys basketball team clinches outright NSC title
- Germantown girls basketball team wins 2nd outright North Shore crown
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 19, 2015
- Germantown girls basketball team clinches share of NSC crown to cap wild week
- Germantown girls basketball team clinches share of second NSC crown
- Meeting all expectations, Germantown boys basketball team rolls to three-win week