Kurtenbach, relay lead Germantown swimmers in WIAA state meet
Backstroker sets school record, scores points for team
Germantown - The 200 medley relay team of Khia Kurtenbach, Haley DeGrace, Abby Schabel and Rachel Siebenaller earned 13th place to lead the Germantown girls swim team to a 33rd place finish in the WIAA State Division 1 meet in Madison on Saturday.
"I was very pleased with how the girls did at state," Warhawks coach Kate Patterson said. "The atmosphere in the pool area is unlike any other high school meet - the noise, the crowd, the pressure - it gets very intense. This was the first time that any of them have been to state, so for their first time around, I thought they did great."
The relay was a bit off of its best time but still recorded a fine mark of 1:53.18 in a deep field. All told, 18 relays out of 24 competing broke the 1:54 barrier as a crew from Arrowhead won with 1:44.35.
Kurtenbach earned the Warhawks' other points, taking 14th in the 100 backstroke in a school record time of 59.22.
"Khia, in particular, had a great meet," Patterson said. "She had her best split time in the 50 back in the medley relay (28.4) and had her season-best, personal best and school record setting time of 59.22 in the 100. Last year Khia's fastest time was a 1:04 so to drop five seconds in a year is astounding. I'm very proud of her and how hard she has worked this season."
Also competing at state was Siebenaller, who was 22nd in the 200 free (1:59.76) and 20th in the 100 free (54.85).
"Although Rachel did not do as well at state," Patterson said. "She still ended the season with personal best times at sectionals in both races. She is only a sophomore so she still has two more years to leave her mark on high school swimming."
Patterson was pleased with the team's tenacity and character through still another long season without a pool.
"I'm very proud of how the girls did this year," she said. "We had an unusually bumpy season due to pool issues and didn't get in as consistent workouts as I would have liked to but the girls were extremely flexible and showed their resilience in having a great conference and (WIAA) sectionals. I look forward to working more with this young team next year."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Girls basketball: Germantown girls basketball team in regional final after 56-46 win
- Germantown boys basketball team clinches outright NSC crown over Homestead
- Mistake in the past, Germantown's Szohr now state wrestling favorite
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 26, 2015
- Germantown girls basketball team claims second undisputed North Shore title
- Germantown boys basketball team clinches outright NSC title
- Germantown girls basketball team wins 2nd outright North Shore crown
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 19, 2015
- Germantown girls basketball team clinches share of NSC crown to cap wild week
- Germantown girls basketball team clinches share of second NSC crown