Like father like son, Germantown all-state guard Zak Showalter has committed to play basketball for Bo Ryan and Wisconsin.
"This has nothing to do with me or my wishes, but everything to do with what my son wanted to do with his future," said Zak's father, Germantown coach Steve Showalter.
The elder Showalter carefully chose his words because he was a star forward for Ryan when Ryan was just getting his career established at NCAA DIII UW-Platteville in the 1980s and maintains close ties with his highly successful mentor.
The verbal commitment ends a long, careful process that had many players involved. A few weeks ago, Steve Showalter noted that close to 20 NCAA division I schools were vying for the 6-2 shooting guard's services.
Zak Showalter earned NOW All-Suburban Player of the year honors and WBCA All-State honors last spring after leading the Warhawks to their second consecutive North Shore Conference title, a WIAA sectional championship and the school's best record ever.
In making the commitment, the younger Showalter becomes the second Warhawk men's basketball player to earn a division I NCAA scholarship in three years as two-time NOW Player of the Year Ben Averkamp will be entering his junior season at Loyola of Chicago this winter.
- Resilient Germantown boys win county track outdoor
- Homestead girls soccer team hangs on to beat Germantown, 3-2
- History made at Germantown track invites
- Germantown softball team wins critical NSC showdown
- Germantown girls softball team wins critical test against Homestead, 8-4
- Wrestling: Germantown's Jesse Thielke wins Olympic wrestling trials
- Veteran Germantown girls track team wins North Shore indoor
- McCloud, Keefe kept pace as Germantown boys basketball maintained legacy
- Germantown boys basketball team kept legacy alive under Adams
- Germantown's Showalter says 'I do have options'