Like father like son, Germantown all-state guard Zak Showalter has committed to play basketball for Bo Ryan and Wisconsin.
"This has nothing to do with me or my wishes, but everything to do with what my son wanted to do with his future," said Zak's father, Germantown coach Steve Showalter.
The elder Showalter carefully chose his words because he was a star forward for Ryan when Ryan was just getting his career established at NCAA DIII UW-Platteville in the 1980s and maintains close ties with his highly successful mentor.
The verbal commitment ends a long, careful process that had many players involved. A few weeks ago, Steve Showalter noted that close to 20 NCAA division I schools were vying for the 6-2 shooting guard's services.
Zak Showalter earned NOW All-Suburban Player of the year honors and WBCA All-State honors last spring after leading the Warhawks to their second consecutive North Shore Conference title, a WIAA sectional championship and the school's best record ever.
In making the commitment, the younger Showalter becomes the second Warhawk men's basketball player to earn a division I NCAA scholarship in three years as two-time NOW Player of the Year Ben Averkamp will be entering his junior season at Loyola of Chicago this winter.
- Germantown's baseball season ends with tough loss to West Bend West
- Germantown baseball team ends season with regional loss to West
- Germantown baseball team ready for tourney run
- Carly Szada helped Germantown softball team to another North Shore Conference title
- Sports Notes: July 7, 2016
- Germantown baseball team ups winning streak to five
- Germantown All-Sub choice Szada was key to sixth NSC title
- Thomas and big bats lead Germantown baseball team over Bay, 6-1
- Road trip to Whitewater helps Germantown baseball team
- Germantown's Keefe has fun, plays strong at WBCA All-Star game