Like father like son, Germantown all-state guard Zak Showalter has committed to play basketball for Bo Ryan and Wisconsin.
"This has nothing to do with me or my wishes, but everything to do with what my son wanted to do with his future," said Zak's father, Germantown coach Steve Showalter.
The elder Showalter carefully chose his words because he was a star forward for Ryan when Ryan was just getting his career established at NCAA DIII UW-Platteville in the 1980s and maintains close ties with his highly successful mentor.
The verbal commitment ends a long, careful process that had many players involved. A few weeks ago, Steve Showalter noted that close to 20 NCAA division I schools were vying for the 6-2 shooting guard's services.
Zak Showalter earned NOW All-Suburban Player of the year honors and WBCA All-State honors last spring after leading the Warhawks to their second consecutive North Shore Conference title, a WIAA sectional championship and the school's best record ever.
In making the commitment, the younger Showalter becomes the second Warhawk men's basketball player to earn a division I NCAA scholarship in three years as two-time NOW Player of the Year Ben Averkamp will be entering his junior season at Loyola of Chicago this winter.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Germantown girls basketball team will build around Schmitz
- Germantown football team competitive in rebuilding year
- Germantown's Siebenaller states her case, sets more swimming records
- Germantown volleyball season ends in state quarterfinals
- Brookfield East rallies to beat Germantown, 3-2, in state volleyball quarterfinals
- Germantown boys volleyball team heads back to state
- Germantown's Siebenaller set for one more great state meet
- Germantown boys volleyball team earns state berth with win over Nicolet
- Germantown girls swimming team in great place after fourth in NSC
- Homestead, weather too much for Germantown football team