Like father like son, Germantown all-state guard Zak Showalter has committed to play basketball for Bo Ryan and Wisconsin.
"This has nothing to do with me or my wishes, but everything to do with what my son wanted to do with his future," said Zak's father, Germantown coach Steve Showalter.
The elder Showalter carefully chose his words because he was a star forward for Ryan when Ryan was just getting his career established at NCAA DIII UW-Platteville in the 1980s and maintains close ties with his highly successful mentor.
The verbal commitment ends a long, careful process that had many players involved. A few weeks ago, Steve Showalter noted that close to 20 NCAA division I schools were vying for the 6-2 shooting guard's services.
Zak Showalter earned NOW All-Suburban Player of the year honors and WBCA All-State honors last spring after leading the Warhawks to their second consecutive North Shore Conference title, a WIAA sectional championship and the school's best record ever.
In making the commitment, the younger Showalter becomes the second Warhawk men's basketball player to earn a division I NCAA scholarship in three years as two-time NOW Player of the Year Ben Averkamp will be entering his junior season at Loyola of Chicago this winter.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 19
- Sport Shorts: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Germantown ends six years of frustration against Cedarburg
- Germantown girls tennis team to honor Graham, Sackett
- Germantown girls cross country team adapts, wins Whitnall Invite
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 12
- Doran's "Pick 6" sparks Germantown to 48-31 win over Cedarburg
- Sports Wraps: Sept. 11, 2014 issue
- Germantown girls volleyball team adjusts schedule, claims own invite
- Germantown football team responds, rallies to beat Bay in NSC opener