Germantown's Showalter to make collegiate decision soon
Varsity unbeaten in summer competition
Germantown - There will be an announcement soon.
That's the word coming from Germantown boys basketball coach Steve Showalter concerning his son and NOW All-Suburban Player of the Year and WBCA All-State selection, Zak, and where he will go to school next year.
"No news just yet, but soon," said coach Showalter. "He's still getting a lot of calls with only one big decision to make."
And when that decision is made, it will conclude a heady summer for the Germantown program, as the Warhawks, in just their second year of participation, won the difficult Whiz Kids Summer League championship in undefeated fashion.
Overall, the varsity, which is ranked No. 1 in some state pre-season polls, went 30-0 this summer. Coach Showalter and his staff could not work with the team per WIAA rules, but Showalter said long-time basketball program participant Dave Heubner did a great job leading the group this summer.
In addition, the Wisconsin Swing, which featured Zak Showalter and teammates Josh Mongan, Dan Studer and Luke Fischer made it to the final four of the elite Adidas Fab 48 Tournament.
Zak Showalter will now make a decision.
The 6-2 senior shooting guard who can jump through the roof, has a number of NCAA Division I mid-majors clamoring after him, including Dayton, Drake, UW-Milwaukee, UW-Green Bay, Wofford, Miami of Ohio, Holy Cross, Northeastern, Rice and Holy Cross, along with North Dakota State, South Dakota and Ivy League members Princeton, Columbia, Yale and Harvard.
He has a 3.75 grade point average and has posted a 26 on his ACT.
Meanwhile, the 6-8 sweet-shooting Fischer, who will be a junior this fall, has already been placed on the radar screens of Indiana, Drake, Boston College, Marquette and Creighton.
"He's just getting bombarded," coach Showalter said.
When the decision is made by Zak, coach Showalter said that it will be a low-key event and when all the paperwork is signed, it will be a tremendous relief.
"I know this is something he's worked his entire life for," said Showalter of his son, "but his phone has been ringing off the hook. A kid in the summer before his senior year, I don't think he wants to be on the phone that much (laughs)."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Girls basketball: Germantown girls basketball team in regional final after 56-46 win
- Germantown boys basketball team clinches outright NSC crown over Homestead
- Mistake in the past, Germantown's Szohr now state wrestling favorite
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 26, 2015
- Germantown girls basketball team claims second undisputed North Shore title
- Germantown boys basketball team clinches outright NSC title
- Germantown girls basketball team wins 2nd outright North Shore crown
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 19, 2015
- Germantown girls basketball team clinches share of NSC crown to cap wild week
- Germantown girls basketball team clinches share of second NSC crown