Germantown — It seemed like an awfully long 3.8 seconds before Appleton East's Caleb Zeegers shot went into the basket off teammate Johnny Coenen's airball, and it will be an even longer off-season for the Germantown boys basketball team to digest the moment as the Warhawks' season came to an end with a stunning 54-52 WIAA Super-sectional loss in Oshkosh on Tuesday night.
"It seemed like a long time - that ball was in the air a long time," said a discouraged Germantown coach Steve Showalter. "It seemed that when the initial shot went up that the horn should have been blowing. But I teach my kids to play to the whistle, to the horn sounds."
With the win, the No. 1-ranked Patriots (26-0) advance to a WIAA Division 1 state semifinal in Madison on Friday night while Germantown's record-breaking season comes to an end at 24-2.
The loss spoiled an epic comeback by the Warhawks, as they went down 12 in the first half, but rallied to tie the score with 10 seconds remaining in regulation on guard Josh Mongan's 3-pointer from the wing.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Germantown girls basketball team will build around Schmitz
- Germantown football team competitive in rebuilding year
- Germantown's Siebenaller states her case, sets more swimming records
- Germantown volleyball season ends in state quarterfinals
- Brookfield East rallies to beat Germantown, 3-2, in state volleyball quarterfinals
- Germantown boys volleyball team heads back to state
- Germantown's Siebenaller set for one more great state meet
- Germantown boys volleyball team earns state berth with win over Nicolet
- Germantown girls swimming team in great place after fourth in NSC
- Homestead, weather too much for Germantown football team