Germantown — It seemed like an awfully long 3.8 seconds before Appleton East's Caleb Zeegers shot went into the basket off teammate Johnny Coenen's airball, and it will be an even longer off-season for the Germantown boys basketball team to digest the moment as the Warhawks' season came to an end with a stunning 54-52 WIAA Super-sectional loss in Oshkosh on Tuesday night.
"It seemed like a long time - that ball was in the air a long time," said a discouraged Germantown coach Steve Showalter. "It seemed that when the initial shot went up that the horn should have been blowing. But I teach my kids to play to the whistle, to the horn sounds."
With the win, the No. 1-ranked Patriots (26-0) advance to a WIAA Division 1 state semifinal in Madison on Friday night while Germantown's record-breaking season comes to an end at 24-2.
The loss spoiled an epic comeback by the Warhawks, as they went down 12 in the first half, but rallied to tie the score with 10 seconds remaining in regulation on guard Josh Mongan's 3-pointer from the wing.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Girls volleyball: Townsend keys Germantown win over Oconomowoc
- Klopfer, Goesch get to state but not rest of Germantown CC team
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 30, 2014 issue
- Football: Germantown football team advances with easy win over Brookfield Central
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 1
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Dominant Germantown volleyball team sweeps NSC tourney
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Germantown cross country teams head into NSC meet as winners