Germantown girls basketball
The state-ranked Nicolet team has been a thorn in the side for everyone this season and they were a major problem for the Warhawks too, as the Knights ended Germantown's season with their consecutive victory over them this winter, a 66-25 WIAA regional final on Saturday.
"The effort has always been there, it's just our inability to make shots that has been the problem," said Germantown coach Matt Stuve. "We were nine of 45 from the field and five of 18 from the line. It's hard to beat anyone that way, much less someone like Nicolet.
Germantown, which had beaten Waukesha North, 42-33, in a regional semifinal on March 8, finished up at 7-17, while the three-time North Shore champion Knights moved onto sectional play with a 21-2 record.
As they've done to almost every North Shore opponent this season, Nicolet took Germantown out of the game early with a 19-4 first quarter burst that stretched to a 35-9 margin at halftime.
Jessica Kretlow and Lexi Keefe had seven points apiece for Germantown, with Krtetlow grabbing an nine rebounds.
In the win against North, the Warhawks broke open a close game with an 11-4 fourth quarter as Kretlow had 11 points and Keefe eight. Kretlow was seven of nine from the line, good for a Germantown team that has been challenged at the free throw stripe all season.
- Steven L. Teitz
- Germantown and Menomonee Falls Sports Shorts: June 9, 2016
- Menomonee Falls and Germantown Sports Shorts: June 2, 2016
- Menomonee Falls and Germantown Sports Shorts: May 26
- Sports Shorts: May 19, 2016
- Sports Shorts: May 12, 2016
- Sports Shorts: May 5, 2016
- Sports Shorts: April 28, 2016
- SPORTS SHORTS: April 21
- Sports Shorts: April 14, 2016
- SPORTS SHORTS: March 3
- SPORTS SHORTS: Feb. 25
- SPORTS SHORTS: Feb. 18
- Sports Shorts: Feb. 11, 2016
- SPORTS SHORTS: Feb. 4
- SPORTS SHORTS: Jan. 28
- SPORTS SHORTS: Jan. 21
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 14, 2016
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 7, 2015
- Sport Shorts: Dec. 24, 2015
- Sport Shorts: Nov. 5, 2015