Germantown - Germantown Village President Dean Wolter will run unopposed in the spring election.
Wolter, 52, was first elected by the Village Board to a vacant trustee position in 2008. After serving as trustee until 2010, he was elected village president.
As Wolter looks to another three years in office, one of his goal's is looking for revenue sources to allow the Village Board to add money to the general fund budget line item for street maintenance and repair.
"This will allow the Village Board to lower the amount of borrowed money to cover most of the village road replacement and maintenance," he said.
He also plans to continue prioritizing village services to ensure the village gets the best dollar value for the property taxes residents pay.
"Whether it's our home, work or village, we are all feeling the pinch of growing expenses and shrinking revenues," Wolter said. "The responsibility of elected officials is to search for new and creative ways to decrease expenses while maintaining the same level of service, without raising taxes."
He said this can be accomplished by recruiting new businesses, supporting and helping existing businesses grow, and expanding the tax base through a strategic land development plan that does not put more burden on village services.
Long term, Wolter said the board should "carefully plan how to grow and develop the village along the interstate corridor," while maintaining the rural landscape north of Freistadt Road. The landscape is one key attraction in the village. This includes working closely with the village's land management agent and Economic Development of Washington County to create a marketing plan for established business parks and TIF districts.
"This will allow the completion and closing of remaining TIF districts within our village and bring them onto the tax rolls, adding revenue to the annual budgets for the village, county and School District, while still attracting new business and jobs into our area," Wolter said.
- Danielle Switalski
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Habitat for Humanity Opens ReStore in Germantown
- Community Calendar: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Facebook buy-sell-trade groups making difference in Falls, Germantown
- Police searching for 2 men for armed robbery at Craigslist sale
- Germantown to consider long-term plan for downtown district
- Germantown Police Report: September 11, 2014
- Germantown Plan Commission applauds design proposal
- Department of Transportation prepares for full closure of Highway 41
- Germantown school district seeks to continue improving ACT scores
- Germantown district pursues personalized learning options