Germantown - Germantown Village President Dean Wolter will run unopposed in the spring election.
Wolter, 52, was first elected by the Village Board to a vacant trustee position in 2008. After serving as trustee until 2010, he was elected village president.
As Wolter looks to another three years in office, one of his goal's is looking for revenue sources to allow the Village Board to add money to the general fund budget line item for street maintenance and repair.
"This will allow the Village Board to lower the amount of borrowed money to cover most of the village road replacement and maintenance," he said.
He also plans to continue prioritizing village services to ensure the village gets the best dollar value for the property taxes residents pay.
"Whether it's our home, work or village, we are all feeling the pinch of growing expenses and shrinking revenues," Wolter said. "The responsibility of elected officials is to search for new and creative ways to decrease expenses while maintaining the same level of service, without raising taxes."
He said this can be accomplished by recruiting new businesses, supporting and helping existing businesses grow, and expanding the tax base through a strategic land development plan that does not put more burden on village services.
Long term, Wolter said the board should "carefully plan how to grow and develop the village along the interstate corridor," while maintaining the rural landscape north of Freistadt Road. The landscape is one key attraction in the village. This includes working closely with the village's land management agent and Economic Development of Washington County to create a marketing plan for established business parks and TIF districts.
"This will allow the completion and closing of remaining TIF districts within our village and bring them onto the tax rolls, adding revenue to the annual budgets for the village, county and School District, while still attracting new business and jobs into our area," Wolter said.
- Danielle Switalski
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Germantown to begin working on parks department survey results
- Germantown sets plan in place to name new public works director
- Germantown could consider a referendum based on school facilities survey
- Mud run to raise funds for teacher grants in Germantown
- Germantown Police Report: May 21, 2015
- Germantown school board moves forward on Rockfield expansion (1)
- Germantown Police Report: May 14, 2015
- Germantown High School ranks fifth in state by U.S. News and World Report
- Road construction season affects more than Pilgrim Road in Menomonee Falls
- First Bank Financial Centre of Menomonee Falls gives back to community