The Friends of the Germantown Community Library would like to thank all those who donated books to the library over the past year for the 15th annual Friends Book Sale in late March. We would also like to thank everyone who came out to purchase books during the book sale. Just about $5,300 was raised from the book sale this year.
We hope you'll continue to donate books to the library over the upcoming months for next year's book sale. And remember, the library staff gets " a first look" at all donations for needed additions to the library's own collection.
Funds raised from the book sale will go to special projects and programs at the library which are not covered by taxpayer dollars. The Friends have already committed to sponsoring two summer reading programs at the library, buying five to six computers for the library this year, and the Friends art show in the fall.
In 2013, as in previous years, the leftovers from the book sale have been donated to other community organizations. This year, book sale leftovers have been donated to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, Germantown Senior Citizen Center, Friends of the Hartford Library, Hearts-in-Unity; Tanzania Africa, the Felician Sisters in Chicago, Emerald Ridge Assisted Living Center, and ST. Boniface's Kentucky Mission.
The Friends would like to thank Boy Scout Troop 271, Germantown Youth Futures and the Germantown Graduation Center for their help moving boxes of books for the book sale. Special thanks go to the village of Germantown, the library staff, and the Public Works Department for their continued support of the book sale.
The Friends would also like to recognize and thank the 60 community volunteers who helped move boxes of books, setup the book sale, work at the book sale, and who helped clean up after the sale was over. We couldn't have done this without you.
Friends of the Germantown Community Library
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Germantown Police Reports: Aug. 27, 2015
- Germantown Police Department bids farewell to Lt. Brian Henning
- Germantown school district approves preliminary 2015-16 budget
- Germantown Police Reports: Aug. 20, 2015
- Village board to consider rezoning, conditional-use permit in September
- Video: Germantown tornado reported, no known damage
- Germantown Police Reports: Aug. 13, 2015
- Camp Invention returns to Germantown
- Missing, injured dog, Kiwi, still missing in Germantown
- Germantown close to naming public works director