Olive Garden is no longer coming to Germantown, village officials confirmed Tuesday.
Though the development went through the Planning Commission and Village Board levels, the franchise restaurant planned for the Riversbend Development on County Line Road is no longer interested in the site, Village President Dean Wolter said.
The redevelopment of the 40-acre Riversbend Country Club property on County Line Road included the construction of Olive Garden and Buffalo Wild Wings restaurants on 3.5 acres in the parking lot of the current Riversbend Golf Club, W18034 County Line Road. A new golf club house is planned for the north end of the remaining 37.5 acres that is being developed by Menomonee Falls-based Continental 246 Fund. Buffalo Wild Wings is still planned for the site.
"They are still dedicated to this site and plan on developing and going through with the restaurant," Wolter said.
The Village Board on Monday approved a liquor license with outdoor patio hours for Buffalo Wild Wings.
In response to questions, an Olive Garden spokesman issued the following statement: "Darden and Olive Garden leaders have made the strategic decision to reduce the rate of Olive Garden's new restaurant expansion in our upcoming fiscal year by 50 percent. The Germantown project is one of several projects that has been canceled due to renewed focus on Olive Garden's existing restaurants. However, our real estate team is constantly evaluating sites and we will continue to evaluate future opportunities in the Germantown market."
Wolter said the developer will have to recruit another business for the site, however, a new site plan will have to be approved by Germantown officials.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Aurora to complete $38 million conversion of Germantown offices into clinic
- Germantown standards development could take up to seven years
- Germantown School Board members call modular classrooms a "Band-Aid"
- Germantown school district survey yields support for pool, solutions to overcrowding
- Gehl Sponsorship takes Germantown performing arts pavilion a big step closer to becoming a reality
- Waukesha, Washington counties at "very high" fire danger risk
- Germantown Police Report: April 16, 2015
- One killed, firefighter injured in Germantown townhouse fire April 11
- Germantown stalls plans to make major change to sewer lateral regulation in the village (1)
- Germantown commission to review four requests to expand within the village