Olive Garden is no longer coming to Germantown, village officials confirmed Tuesday.
Though the development went through the Planning Commission and Village Board levels, the franchise restaurant planned for the Riversbend Development on County Line Road is no longer interested in the site, Village President Dean Wolter said.
The redevelopment of the 40-acre Riversbend Country Club property on County Line Road included the construction of Olive Garden and Buffalo Wild Wings restaurants on 3.5 acres in the parking lot of the current Riversbend Golf Club, W18034 County Line Road. A new golf club house is planned for the north end of the remaining 37.5 acres that is being developed by Menomonee Falls-based Continental 246 Fund. Buffalo Wild Wings is still planned for the site.
"They are still dedicated to this site and plan on developing and going through with the restaurant," Wolter said.
The Village Board on Monday approved a liquor license with outdoor patio hours for Buffalo Wild Wings.
In response to questions, an Olive Garden spokesman issued the following statement: "Darden and Olive Garden leaders have made the strategic decision to reduce the rate of Olive Garden's new restaurant expansion in our upcoming fiscal year by 50 percent. The Germantown project is one of several projects that has been canceled due to renewed focus on Olive Garden's existing restaurants. However, our real estate team is constantly evaluating sites and we will continue to evaluate future opportunities in the Germantown market."
Wolter said the developer will have to recruit another business for the site, however, a new site plan will have to be approved by Germantown officials.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Germantown native works hard, gains experience at Arlington research station
- Germantown Police Reports: Aug. 27, 2015
- Germantown Police Department bids farewell to Lt. Brian Henning
- Germantown school district approves preliminary 2015-16 budget
- Germantown Police Reports: Aug. 20, 2015
- Village board to consider rezoning, conditional-use permit in September
- Video: Germantown tornado reported, no known damage
- Germantown Police Reports: Aug. 13, 2015
- Camp Invention returns to Germantown
- Missing, injured dog, Kiwi, still missing in Germantown