Should the Washington County Board give the stamp of approval at its Thursday meeting, Interfaith Caregivers will bring the Meals On Wheels program to Germantown and start serving food on Friday.
There will be an immediate need for volunteer drivers to serve the approximately 16 senior citizens who would participate in the Meals on Wheels program in Germantown, said Interfaith Caregivers Executive Director Debi Genthe. Volunteers need to fill out an application through Interfaith Caregivers of Washington County. Interfaith will complete a routine background check and driving record check for all volunteers.
Deliveries begin at 10:45 a.m. The driver would use an Interfaith van that is parked at the Germantown Police Department, drive to the Germantown Senior Center to pick up the meals, follow the mapped route to deliver the food, stop back at the Senior Center to drop off the insulated containers, and return the van to the Police Department.
It is estimated that the deliveries would be complete by 1 p.m. Interfaith Caregivers already serves Germantown residents for their medical needs, but this would be the first time that service includes Meals on Wheels.
"Part of our mission is to make sure seniors have access to medical care and they have access to food and this is such a good fit," Genthe said. "On a daily basis for one person to affect the lives of 16 people — that's a pretty good opportunity."
Interested volunteers can call (262) 365-0902 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- South Shore Police report: Dec. 25, 2014 issue
- Germantown Village Board to go paperless
- Neuson proposal approved by Menomonee Falls Village Board
- Germantown Police Report: Dec. 18, 2014
- GHS alumnus founds prominent student organization at UW-Madison
- Woman drives drunk to pick up drunken driver from police station
- Germantown considers long-term plans for Main Street
- Momentum Early Learning seeks to open facility in Germantown
- Germantown Police Report: Dec. 11, 2014
- Germantown Police Report: Dec. 4, 2014