The Village of Germantown is seeking a new Park and Recreation Department Director after the Village Board on Monday announced the resignation of Director Brett Altergott.
Altergott has accepted new employment in Minnesota.
"It's really sad to see Brett go," said Village Manager David Schornack. "He's done an outstanding job here and we really wish him and his family the very best."
The Board approved advertising for the position on Monday; however, after a brief debate voted not to advertise the job with a salary range.
Trustees Terri Kaminski and Shane Daniels opposed the decision to not include salary in the advertisement. Kaminski said though it is common for private sector jobs to not include salary ranges, every public sector job advertisement does. The starting salary would have been advertised at $59,000 for someone with a bachelor's degree.
Trustee Al Vanderheiden opened the discussion of whether a salary range should be included, asking if someone without a bachelor's degree, who is right for the job, would be paid less than $59,000.
"If we get somebody that is interested and does not have a bachelor's degree, there is nothing that would preclude us at starting that person at a lower salary," Schornack said.
He said the position should be filled by May if not earlier and administration will begin discussions of implementing an interim director until someone is hired.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Germantown school district discusses issues with student food waste
- Germantown parents speak out against large kindergarten class sizes, district acknowledges problem
- What parents in Menomonee Falls, Germantown need to know about the measles outbreak
- Germantown Police Report: Feb. 26, 2015
- Germantown dog doesn't win at Westminster but holds head high
- Knodl supports, speaks in favor of Right-to-work legislation
- Germantown school board approves resignation of teacher arrested for vandalism
- Germantown Park and Recreation Department hires new recreation supervisor
- Wauwatosa East High School students won Scholastic Art Awards
- In Our Schools: Feb. 19