Germantown — Buzdum's Pub and Grill will remain open despite a foreclosure on the property, at least for now.
The Germantown Village Board on Monday, June 16 opted to postpone approval of a liquor license renewal application for Radomir Buzdum, who operates the bar and restaurant located at W188 N10515 Maple Road. There is currently a foreclosure suit pending against the Buzdum Trust, which owns the property. In addition, five years of back taxes amounting to more than $50,000 is owed to the village of Germantown.
According to village ordinance, no liquor license may be granted if taxes are deliquent for more than six months. While Buzdum, who is brothers with Buzdum Trust trustee Boro Buzdum, said he understands the ordinance, he pleaded with the board to consider his situation.
"I'm not the property owner; I'm just the lessee," said Buzdum, who leases the 1,200-square-foot building for $1,800 a month. "In my defense, I'm not going to pay the $50,000 in property taxes if I'm not even the property owner."
Buzdum urged the board to wait to take action on the license renewal at least until after the foreclosure hearing on Thursday, June 26. After the hearing, Village Attorney Brian Sajdak said he estimates it might not be actually be resolved until early 2015.
"I can't see shutting him down until I see what happens with the property itself," said Trustee David Baum. "Yeah, I want the money back for the village, but I can't see shutting the business down because we might not get the money back anyway."
Trustee Terri Kaminski added it would be to the board's benefit to postpone a decision until the full board is in attendance, as trustees Al Vanderheiden and Art Zabel were excused from the meeting.
"I don't feel for the number of people here today I want to make that kind of decision," she said.
The board will reconsider the matter at their second meeting in July.
Until then, Buzdum may continue to operate the restaurant without the renewal unless the license is revoked for some reason in the meantime.
WHAT: discussion and possible action on liquor license renewal for Buzdum Pub & Grill
WHEN: 7 p.m. Monday, July 21
WHERE: Village Hall, W17001 Mequon Road
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Fox Head Residences apartment plan in Waukesha finished after rezoning vote again denied
- Myers, McManus to face off for Germantown Village Board seat
- Drivers react to the serious crashes in Germantown on Highway 41/45 March 4
- Case involving former Germantown kindergarten teacher sparks lawsuit against Jefferson County Sherif
- UPDATE: Northbound Highway 41 in Germantown remains closed following crashes, drivers stalled
- UPDATE: Three seriously injured in Germantown crash that has Highway 41/45 closed in both directions
- Germantown approves raises for village staff
- Germantown Village Board to consider compensation changes
- Germantown resident says friends feel like family at the Just Betweeen Friends sale
- Germantown School District discusses issues with student food waste