Germantown - For decades, the Germantown Fire Department has worked to ensure children and adults alike know how to stay safe in the event of a fire.
This year is no different as the fire department is hosting its annual Fire Safety event from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday at station No. 2, W18752 Edison Drive. There will be free hot dogs available at the event and a slew of vendors all promoting some facet of safety including the Germantown Police Department and the Washington County Ham Radio Operators.
A simulated house fire is slated for noon. The Flight for Life helicopter is anticipated to land at 1:30 p.m. depending on its availability that day.
"It's always a good time. It's great to see what our community's first responders are capable of doing and how they operate," said John Delain, firefighter and EMT with the Germantown Fire Department. "It's always great to have an understanding of fire prevention and safety in general."
Throughout the day there will be an automobile extrication demonstration, car fires and fire loss restoration companies will be on hand providing information on how to recover a person's belongings in the event of a fire.
Each year, the fire department has simulated house fires. One with a sprinkler system and one without a sprinkler system to show the public the amount of prevention a sprinkler system can provide.
"I'm always surprised at the reaction people have to an in-home fire sprinkler system," Delain said. "Most homes around here don't have an in-home fire sprinkler system and when they see the time it gives them to exit a house on fire and the amount of prevention it provides as property loss, I think they find it very amazing."
Neighboring fire departments will also participate in the event, as well as face off in a chili cook-off. Members of the public will be able to vote on their favorite chili.
- Danielle Switalski
- Buzdum's get deadline on old taxes
- Germantown Mud Splash raises funds for teachers
- Germantown School District could ask for up to $66.5 million in building updates (22)
- Germantown Police Reports, June 23, 2016
- Hubertus man killed in head-on car crash
- Germantown Police Reports: June 16, 2016
- Rockfield Destination Imagination team takes second in global competition
- Chemical spill at Gehl Foods plant leaves five with minor injuries
- Germantown veteran surprised by Honor Flight
- Germantown entrepreneur Laura Maly finds her own niche