The Germantown School Board on Monday appointed Amy Belle Elementary School Principal Mary Kucharski as the director of teaching and learning.
It was a difficult search to replace Jennifer Ganske, who resigned in August, said Superintendent Susan Borden. The right candidate needed to have expert knowledge in K5 literacy, which is an area that Kucharski has experience in, Borden said.
The Germantown School District is adopting a new K5 reading and writing program. The reading and writing adoption is at the forefront for the 2012-13 school year as the district works to align curriculum with state standards.
"We didn't find that in the candidate pool," Borden said. "Maria is giving us the gift of time with her services as director."
Kucharski will serve as director for the next year before returning to her position as principal at Amy Belle. By then, Borden said they are anticipating a more diverse candidate pool to select from in order to fill the position.
To help fill the shoes of Kucharski at the elementary school while she transitions into the position, the district is looking through applications for a temporary assistant principal.
"We have a very nice applicant pool," Borden said. "I see a lot of talent in it already."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Germantown school summit seeks to 'move beyond standardization into the future of learning for stude
- Germantown School Board reviewing options to address space issues
- Germantown, Washington County lifts burn ban
- Germantown Police Report: March 26, 2015
- Germantown school officials discuss options to alleviate overcrowding at Rockfield
- Germantown manufacturer recognized among best in country
- Germantown school board to get update on facilities plans
- Germantown Police Report: March 19, 2015
- Falls Village Board President candidates say they each would bring different experience to the role
- Germantown brings in third party to look at road improvements within TIF No. 6