Barewood Furniture closes its doors after 30 years
Retirement sale runs through end of June
Germantown — Their love of the business is stronger than the oak in the furniture they sell, so it is with sad hearts that Skip and Joyce DeGrande will soon be closing their doors. After more than 30 years owning and operating Barewood Furniture, the couple says the time has come to retire.
"Barewood Furinture is in our blood," Joyce said of the store, which opened in 1983. "We will miss greeting our guests to our store and hope every time they look at their Barewood heirloom they think of us."
According to the couple, they won't be the only ones missing the daily visitors to the store. Skip said not a day goes by that a child comes into the store looking for Matilda, their seven-year-old golden retriever.
"It never ceases to amaze me how children run into the store asking 'where's Matilda?'," he said of the dog, that has been known to follow customers silently with bright eyes and a wagging tail.
"She even smiles as strollers are near, and a giggle happens as she entertains even the youngest and oldest of our guests," Joyce said.
Matilda won't be the only one missing the relationships and experiences of the store as it is not the furniture but the people Joyce said she will miss most about coming to work every day.
"We have enjoyed selling a young family a crib, then a desk for school work a few years later, and a bed for a dorm room a few years after that," she said.
The furniture itself is its own labor of love for the couple, who have worked hard to offer a wide selection high-quality, well-built furniture that stands the test of time.
"We have always strived to find the exact piece our guests will have forever," Skip said. "'No particleboard' has always been a mantra of ours. How many other stores in town can promise that?"
The quality of the furniture is what has kept customer Julia Schmidt of Menomonee Falls coming back for the last five years.
"Not only is the service personal and friendly, but you simply can't beat the quality of these pieces and the work they do here," she said.
The store will feature close-out pricing until its final days at the end of June. Until then, Joyce hopes to see many familiar faces and maybe even some new ones.
"We welcome everyone to come in, share a story of their time with us, give Matilda a pat and offer a handshake or smile as we say goodbye," she said.
AT A GLANCE
WHAT: Barewood Furniture Retirement Sale
WHEN: now through Monday, June 30
WHERE: Barewood Furniture, N10707 Maple Road
CONTACT: (262) 257-0992, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Germantown School Board defers decision on human resources directors
- Germantown Police Reports: May 26, 2016
- Threat 'not credible'; Kennedy Middle School in Germantown is open today
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Germantown Police Reports: May 19, 2016
- Germantown Superintendent Jeff Holmes announces candidacy for Wisconsin State Superintendent (8)
- Leadership Germantown class looks to form police honor guard
- Mai Fest canceled for this year; Germantown group seeks new home for beloved celebration
- Video: Crayola visits County Line Elementary School in Germantown to provide unique experience to twins
- Germantown braces for road projects on main thoroughfares