She dove right in. They even had her old nameplate.
Former School Board member Erin Jex is filling the spot created by Michael Schultz's resignation. After board members appointed her Monday night, she took her oath of office and got to work. Board members joked about recycling, presenting Jex with her old nameplate.
The board had appointed Jex in September 2007 to fill the vacancy created when Ric Ericksen resigned after being hired as the school district's business manager.
However, she lost the seat to Cari Brust in April 2008. Jex then mounted a comeback last April, making it through the primary, but ultimately lost to Tom Bowe.
Jex said she had decided not to run in April again because of her husband's coaching commitment and time constraints, but couldn't pass up a chance when Schulz's seat opened up.
Brust, who is finishing her second year on the board, will face challenger Diana Kline in April. Board members Michael Erdmann and Bruce Warnimont are running unopposed.
School Board members serve three-year terms and earn $3,500 a year. Because the board appointed Jex, she will serve until next April. Coincidentally, that is when Schultz's term expires.
Barb Mendenhall also had applied to fill Schultz's seat, but arrived after the board had interviewed Jex and took a vote.
Schultz resigned because he is moving to Ashville, N.C.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Buzdum's to remain open in Germantown
- Germantown Police Reports: June 25, 2015
- Germantown High School hands out scholarships
- Germantown School Board meeting postponed due to lack of quorum
- Washington County offices to close for holiday
- Three Germantown elementary schools recognized
- Germantown Library Board to discuss 2016 budget
- Germantown Police Report: June 18, 2015
- Germantown School Board to discuss budget
- Germantown Rec Department has listing of summer events