Editor's note: Patricia Rollinger is a resident of Germantown and works for Grota Appraisals, the company that currently does the assessment work in Germantown.
Get the same service at one-third the price! I'm sure we have all heard similar claims and disregarded them because we all know if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Recently, the Germantown trustees voted to hire a new assessor for less than one-third the price they paid the assessor last year.
Let's see what accepting the bid of $29,500 will not get Germantown residents:
• You no longer have a local assessor. Accurate Appraisals' office is located in Menasha.
• You no longer have an assessor that assesses 13 other municipalities in Washington County and is very familiar with the area.
• You no longer have an assessor that will view and list Personal Property accounts. Per Accurate's proposal, the village must provide them a list of businesses rather than collecting data themselves.
Three years ago when Grota Appraisals took over as Germantown's assessor, they uncovered $4.5 million in omitted value and assessment errors. They added $4.1 million to the Personal Property roll that had been omitted. A low priced assessor, that the village chose in order to save money, caused these errors.
The trustees made this vote without one word of discussion. Obviously they had already made their decision outside of the board room and didn't want the discussion to be made on public record. I no longer have any "trust" in my trustees to make prudent decisions.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Peeping Tom caught in the act at Germantown bar
- Germantown Police Report: August 21, 2014
- Work on Menomonee River Bridge begins tonight
- Germantown school district working to promote digital citizenship
- Germantown considers options for new early childhood education site
- Germantown School District continues "long haul" development of standards
- Germantown Police Report: August 14, 2014
- Brandtjen tops GOP field in Assembly primary
- TJ Hale moves forward with plans to develop in Germantown
- Germantown police officers administer Narcan