I would like to remind pedestrians of the Wisconsin Department of Transportation's rule to walk on the left side of the road, facing traffic, where there are no sidewalks. It seems many have forgotten or were never aware of this, but I see it done opposite every day driving through our subdivisions in Germantown.
This practice would make the streets safer. It is hard enough maneuvering the winding streets and also trying to determine if the person walking or jogging with his/her back to us is aware of our approaching vehicle. Also, try to make eye contact, so you are all on the same page.
By the way, bicycles should ride on the right side with traffic.
For safety tips, go to dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/motorist/pedestrians/rules.htm.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Clarifies assessor troubles in Germantown
- 11 things to do this holiday season in Menomonee Falls and Germantown
- Germantown Police Report: Nov. 20, 2014
- Taxpayers could see small increase to village taxes
- Germantown moves forward with fire department referendum for 2015
- News & Notes: Nov. 20, 2014
- Fundraising party for childhood cancer honors Graham's memory
- Graham's memory honored with fundraising party for childhood cancer
- Germantown Police Report: Nov. 13, 2014
- Brandtjen opts to retain seat on Waukesha County Board