I would like to remind pedestrians of the Wisconsin Department of Transportation's rule to walk on the left side of the road, facing traffic, where there are no sidewalks. It seems many have forgotten or were never aware of this, but I see it done opposite every day driving through our subdivisions in Germantown.
This practice would make the streets safer. It is hard enough maneuvering the winding streets and also trying to determine if the person walking or jogging with his/her back to us is aware of our approaching vehicle. Also, try to make eye contact, so you are all on the same page.
By the way, bicycles should ride on the right side with traffic.
For safety tips, go to dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/motorist/pedestrians/rules.htm.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Germantown hits pause in review of Wisconsin DOT's plans for Appleton Avenue and Lannon Road (1)
- Germantown Police Reports, Feb. 11, 2016
- Sold out crowd of more than 350 people gather for Germantown Community Scholarship Fund event (1)
- Construction to start on Highway 175 in Washington County
- Faustel in Germantown welcomes John Pokrandt to controls engineering team
- Germantown Police Reports, Feb. 4, 2016 (1)
- Germantown School District reacts to scores on first, and last, Badger exam
- Germantown's Kennedy Middle School students make a difference on MLK day
- Germantown Police Reports, Jan. 28, 2016
- Firehouse Subs lends helping hand to Germantown Fire Department