I would like to remind pedestrians of the Wisconsin Department of Transportation's rule to walk on the left side of the road, facing traffic, where there are no sidewalks. It seems many have forgotten or were never aware of this, but I see it done opposite every day driving through our subdivisions in Germantown.
This practice would make the streets safer. It is hard enough maneuvering the winding streets and also trying to determine if the person walking or jogging with his/her back to us is aware of our approaching vehicle. Also, try to make eye contact, so you are all on the same page.
By the way, bicycles should ride on the right side with traffic.
For safety tips, go to dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/motorist/pedestrians/rules.htm.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Case involving former Germantown kindergarten teacher sparks lawsuit against Jefferson County Sherif
- UPDATE: Northbound Highway 41 in Germantown remains closed following crashes, drivers stalled
- UPDATE: Three seriously injured in Germantown crash that has Highway 41/45 closed in both directions
- Germantown approves raises for village staff
- Germantown Village Board to consider compensation changes
- Germantown resident says friends feel like family at the Just Betweeen Friends sale
- Germantown School District discusses issues with student food waste
- Germantown parents speak out against large kindergarten class sizes
- What parents in Menomonee Falls, Germantown need to know about the measles outbreak
- Germantown Police Report: Feb. 26, 2015