I would like to remind pedestrians of the Wisconsin Department of Transportation's rule to walk on the left side of the road, facing traffic, where there are no sidewalks. It seems many have forgotten or were never aware of this, but I see it done opposite every day driving through our subdivisions in Germantown.
This practice would make the streets safer. It is hard enough maneuvering the winding streets and also trying to determine if the person walking or jogging with his/her back to us is aware of our approaching vehicle. Also, try to make eye contact, so you are all on the same page.
By the way, bicycles should ride on the right side with traffic.
For safety tips, go to dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/motorist/pedestrians/rules.htm.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- First Bank taking nominations for Holi-Days of Giving
- GFD is "delivering fire prevention" tonight
- Germantown Police Report: October 23, 2014
- Amy Belle Elementary School Receives Award
- Orphaned Griebel children adopted by aunt, uncle
- Germantown board requests more information on fire department referendum
- Germantown High School alumni wins gold at Warrior Games
- Two Germantown Police Officers injured after car chase
- Workouts happen around the clock at the Germantown Police Department
- Early Childhood Center plans hit roadblock, crowding remains an issue