I would like to remind pedestrians of the Wisconsin Department of Transportation's rule to walk on the left side of the road, facing traffic, where there are no sidewalks. It seems many have forgotten or were never aware of this, but I see it done opposite every day driving through our subdivisions in Germantown.
This practice would make the streets safer. It is hard enough maneuvering the winding streets and also trying to determine if the person walking or jogging with his/her back to us is aware of our approaching vehicle. Also, try to make eye contact, so you are all on the same page.
By the way, bicycles should ride on the right side with traffic.
For safety tips, go to dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/motorist/pedestrians/rules.htm.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Peeping Tom caught in the act at Germantown bar
- Germantown Police Report: August 21, 2014
- Work on Menomonee River Bridge begins tonight
- Germantown school district working to promote digital citizenship
- Germantown considers options for new early childhood education site
- Germantown School District continues "long haul" development of standards
- Germantown Police Report: August 14, 2014
- Brandtjen tops GOP field in Assembly primary
- TJ Hale moves forward with plans to develop in Germantown
- Germantown police officers administer Narcan