I would like to remind pedestrians of the Wisconsin Department of Transportation's rule to walk on the left side of the road, facing traffic, where there are no sidewalks. It seems many have forgotten or were never aware of this, but I see it done opposite every day driving through our subdivisions in Germantown.
This practice would make the streets safer. It is hard enough maneuvering the winding streets and also trying to determine if the person walking or jogging with his/her back to us is aware of our approaching vehicle. Also, try to make eye contact, so you are all on the same page.
By the way, bicycles should ride on the right side with traffic.
For safety tips, go to dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/motorist/pedestrians/rules.htm.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Family turns hardship into anti-drug message
- News & Notes: May 14
- Police Report: May 13
- Germantown Village Board reconsiders insurance claim decision for water main break
- Germantown School Board narrows superintendent search to three
- Hamilton robotics team wins big
- News & Notes: May 7
- Bier Stube allowed to have outdoor hours
- Mai Fest returns to Germantown
- Police Report: May 6