The Germantown Veterans Memorial will be among the stops members of the American Legion Post 1 will be making this Memorial Day.
Sponsored by the Legion Post, this year's Memorial Day activities begin with a tour of seven cemeteries, starting at 10 a.m. Monday, May 25. Those interested can meet at the Post, W15932 Freistadt Road.
Following the tour will be a ceremony at the Germantown Veterans Memorial at the intersection of Park Avenue and Freistadt Road. A flag ceremony and potluck meal will follow at about noon at the post.
The cost of building and maintaining the memorial has reached about $140,000, which is about $37,000 more than originally estimated.
For information or to donate, call (262) 377-2613.
In Menomonee Falls, businesses will offer sidewalk sales from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 23, as part of the Memorial Day weekend activities. At the same time, Art on the Walk, an art show featuring a variety of artwork, will be available on the sidewalks at Main and Mill streets.
Also returning this year will be the Lucky Ducky Derby, sponsored by the Knights of Columbus, at 2 p.m. May 23.
Contestants can sponsor a duck for $3, or two ducks for $5, at the start of the race.
The festivities pick back up with the Memorial Day parade Monday, May 25.
The parade steps off at 10 a.m. at the intersection of Main Street and Harrison Avenue.
The route will head west from Harrison to Grand Avenue and then north to Neu's Building Center off Richfield Way.
The parade committee again this year is inviting local veterans to ride along the parade route on a special float. Interested veterans are encouraged to meet at 9:15 a.m. at the Knights of Columbus clubhouse, N9161 Water St., to board the float, which will return to the clubhouse after the parade.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Germantown schools stay on enrollment track with changes
- Germantown School District gets some gas relief with new supplier (1)
- Germantown police report: July 30, 2015 issue
- Germantown requests extension of MMSD sanitary sewer
- Camp Invention coming to Kennedy Middle School
- District names new Rockfield Elementary principal
- Inaugural mud run raises $4K for Germantown teacher grants
- Germantown resident wins MS scholarship
- Familiar face to lead Germantown parks department
- Germantown Police Reports: July 23, 2015