The Germantown Veterans Memorial will be among the stops members of the American Legion Post 1 will be making this Memorial Day.
Sponsored by the Legion Post, this year's Memorial Day activities begin with a tour of seven cemeteries, starting at 10 a.m. Monday, May 25. Those interested can meet at the Post, W15932 Freistadt Road.
Following the tour will be a ceremony at the Germantown Veterans Memorial at the intersection of Park Avenue and Freistadt Road. A flag ceremony and potluck meal will follow at about noon at the post.
The cost of building and maintaining the memorial has reached about $140,000, which is about $37,000 more than originally estimated.
For information or to donate, call (262) 377-2613.
In Menomonee Falls, businesses will offer sidewalk sales from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 23, as part of the Memorial Day weekend activities. At the same time, Art on the Walk, an art show featuring a variety of artwork, will be available on the sidewalks at Main and Mill streets.
Also returning this year will be the Lucky Ducky Derby, sponsored by the Knights of Columbus, at 2 p.m. May 23.
Contestants can sponsor a duck for $3, or two ducks for $5, at the start of the race.
The festivities pick back up with the Memorial Day parade Monday, May 25.
The parade steps off at 10 a.m. at the intersection of Main Street and Harrison Avenue.
The route will head west from Harrison to Grand Avenue and then north to Neu's Building Center off Richfield Way.
The parade committee again this year is inviting local veterans to ride along the parade route on a special float. Interested veterans are encouraged to meet at 9:15 a.m. at the Knights of Columbus clubhouse, N9161 Water St., to board the float, which will return to the clubhouse after the parade.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Plans for Germantown performing arts pavilion take shape, include park upgrades (1)
- Germantown cross country teams ready for North Shore Conference with strong finishes
- Driver survives hourlong extraction from vehicle near Highway 41 and Friestadt Road (1)
- Germantown board sides with residents, does not allow plans for large apartment complex
- Saxony Village proposal discussion to resume in Germantown (1)
- Germantown School District to see small increase in taxes
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Germantown Police Reports: Oct. 1, 2015
- Trash changes in Germantown delayed a month
- Germantown mansion destroyed in fire