The Germantown Veterans Memorial will be among the stops members of the American Legion Post 1 will be making this Memorial Day.
Sponsored by the Legion Post, this year's Memorial Day activities begin with a tour of seven cemeteries, starting at 10 a.m. Monday, May 25. Those interested can meet at the Post, W15932 Freistadt Road.
Following the tour will be a ceremony at the Germantown Veterans Memorial at the intersection of Park Avenue and Freistadt Road. A flag ceremony and potluck meal will follow at about noon at the post.
The cost of building and maintaining the memorial has reached about $140,000, which is about $37,000 more than originally estimated.
For information or to donate, call (262) 377-2613.
In Menomonee Falls, businesses will offer sidewalk sales from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 23, as part of the Memorial Day weekend activities. At the same time, Art on the Walk, an art show featuring a variety of artwork, will be available on the sidewalks at Main and Mill streets.
Also returning this year will be the Lucky Ducky Derby, sponsored by the Knights of Columbus, at 2 p.m. May 23.
Contestants can sponsor a duck for $3, or two ducks for $5, at the start of the race.
The festivities pick back up with the Memorial Day parade Monday, May 25.
The parade steps off at 10 a.m. at the intersection of Main Street and Harrison Avenue.
The route will head west from Harrison to Grand Avenue and then north to Neu's Building Center off Richfield Way.
The parade committee again this year is inviting local veterans to ride along the parade route on a special float. Interested veterans are encouraged to meet at 9:15 a.m. at the Knights of Columbus clubhouse, N9161 Water St., to board the float, which will return to the clubhouse after the parade.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- News & Notes: July 31, 2014 issue
- Germantown senior receives honor at Washington County Fair
- Germantown band clinches win at battle of the bands
- Germantown Police Report: July 31, 2014
- Germantown Police Report: July 24, 2014
- Menomonee Falls Police Report: July 24, 2014
- In Brief: July 24, 2014 issue
- Battle of the Bands to feature groups from Germantown, Menomonee Falls
- Germantown resident is the change she wants to see in the world
- TJ Hale announced as Germantown's new business park anchor tenant