A Washington County official reported finding water lettuce and water hyacinth in the creek near Division and Old Farm roads Oct. 7, and someone is believed to be dumping the species in the water source.
According to the Germantown police report:
The Washington County Aquatic Invasive Species coordinator reported finding water lettuce and water hyacinth in the creek at 11:55 a.m. Oct. 7. It was the fifth time the two invasive species were found in the creek.
The coordinator said he found a grocery bag full of the plants at a nearby bridge and believes someone is dumping them over the bridge on purpose.
An extra patrol watch of the area was requested, as dumping an invasive species into Wisconsin waterways is a crime that carries a $300 fine per incident.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- News & Notes: July 31, 2014 issue
- Germantown senior receives honor at Washington County Fair
- Germantown band clinches win at battle of the bands
- Germantown Police Report: July 31, 2014
- Germantown Police Report: July 24, 2014
- Menomonee Falls Police Report: July 24, 2014
- In Brief: July 24, 2014 issue
- Battle of the Bands to feature groups from Germantown, Menomonee Falls
- Germantown resident is the change she wants to see in the world