Menomonee Falls teachers will have an extra class due to budget freeze, enrollment decline
Teachers with the Menomonee Falls School District face an increase to their workload next year as a result of a state-proposed budget freeze and slight dip in enrollment that resulted in more than a dozen layoffs.
Instead of their usual five classes, Falls educators will teach six classes in the 2013-14 school year. This means fewer teachers will be required to teach students, according to the Menomonee Falls School District. Staffing decisions are based on student registration for classes, class size and performance.
"Teaching staff decisions are always challenging. We have good people working across the district," Superintendent Patricia Greco said. "The state budget freeze and a slight drop in enrollment are placing our district in a position to reduce our teaching staff."
There are 15 people who will be laid off at the end of the school year as a result of staff reductions, which totals 12.46 full-time equivalent positions.
Seniority is no longer the sole factor in staffing decisions.
"We have strong staff members and limited resources," Greco said. "Those represent the hardest decisions we face as a team. I am confident the districts that employ our staff members being reduced will benefit from their professionalism and for their commitment to student learning."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Mud run to raise funds for teacher grants in Germantown
- Germantown Police Report: May 21, 2015
- Germantown school board moves forward on Rockfield expansion (1)
- Germantown Police Report: May 14, 2015
- Germantown High School ranks fifth in state by U.S. News and World Report
- Road construction season affects more than Pilgrim Road in Menomonee Falls
- First Bank Financial Centre of Menomonee Falls gives back to community
- Road construction season has started in Germantown
- Mai Fest hits Germantown, May 15-17
- 225 So Mia Famiglia brings old favorites to new location in downtown Waukesha