Menomonee Falls teachers will have an extra class due to budget freeze, enrollment decline
Teachers with the Menomonee Falls School District face an increase to their workload next year as a result of a state-proposed budget freeze and slight dip in enrollment that resulted in more than a dozen layoffs.
Instead of their usual five classes, Falls educators will teach six classes in the 2013-14 school year. This means fewer teachers will be required to teach students, according to the Menomonee Falls School District. Staffing decisions are based on student registration for classes, class size and performance.
"Teaching staff decisions are always challenging. We have good people working across the district," Superintendent Patricia Greco said. "The state budget freeze and a slight drop in enrollment are placing our district in a position to reduce our teaching staff."
There are 15 people who will be laid off at the end of the school year as a result of staff reductions, which totals 12.46 full-time equivalent positions.
Seniority is no longer the sole factor in staffing decisions.
"We have strong staff members and limited resources," Greco said. "Those represent the hardest decisions we face as a team. I am confident the districts that employ our staff members being reduced will benefit from their professionalism and for their commitment to student learning."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Plans proceed for Donges Bay reconstruction in Germantown
- Germantown Police Report: Jan. 27, 2015
- Crowds turn out to discuss long-term plans for downtown Germantown
- New & Notes: Jan. 29, 2015
- Germantown businesses receive funding for workforce development
- Germantown Fire Department seeks to enlist additional paid-on-call staff
- Germantown Police Report: Jan. 22, 2015
- Germantown plan commission seeks input on plans for Main Street
- Germantown violinist to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Milwaukee County Transit System adds stops in Menomonee Falls, Germantown