Menomonee Falls teachers will have an extra class due to budget freeze, enrollment decline
Teachers with the Menomonee Falls School District face an increase to their workload next year as a result of a state-proposed budget freeze and slight dip in enrollment that resulted in more than a dozen layoffs.
Instead of their usual five classes, Falls educators will teach six classes in the 2013-14 school year. This means fewer teachers will be required to teach students, according to the Menomonee Falls School District. Staffing decisions are based on student registration for classes, class size and performance.
"Teaching staff decisions are always challenging. We have good people working across the district," Superintendent Patricia Greco said. "The state budget freeze and a slight drop in enrollment are placing our district in a position to reduce our teaching staff."
There are 15 people who will be laid off at the end of the school year as a result of staff reductions, which totals 12.46 full-time equivalent positions.
Seniority is no longer the sole factor in staffing decisions.
"We have strong staff members and limited resources," Greco said. "Those represent the hardest decisions we face as a team. I am confident the districts that employ our staff members being reduced will benefit from their professionalism and for their commitment to student learning."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Faustel in Germantown welcomes John Pokrandt to controls engineering team
- Germantown Police Reports, Feb. 4, 2016 (1)
- Germantown School District reacts to scores on first, and last, Badger exam
- Germantown's Kennedy Middle School students make a difference on MLK day
- Germantown Police Reports, Jan. 28, 2016
- Firehouse Subs lends helping hand to Germantown Fire Department
- Germantown police seek shreds of evidence in cheese truck theft (3)
- Graphics Systems Corp. to move from Menomonee Falls into former Family Fun Land in Germantown
- Washington County debt reaches 25-year low
- Germantown's new business park remains unclaimed 18 months later