District approves two nonrenewals
Decreased enrollment in elective classes forces teacher cuts
Germantown - Because there was a shift in what electives students are taking, the Germantown School Board will not renew two teacher contracts for the 2013-14 school year.
There are two types of "nonrenewals" for the Germantown School District. One related to performance and another nonperformance related. This year, not as many students signed up for electives such as social studies, which prompted the Germantown School Board on Monday to approve the issuance of two preliminary notices of nonrenewal.
"We base our staff on kids registering for courses," Superintendent Susan Borden said. "When enrollment shifts, we keep the staff we need."
For the 2013-14 school year, in addition to the two nonrenewals, the district also had two retirements at Kennedy Middle School and two resignations.
The Germantown School District is in the middle of its budget planning process for the 2013-14 school year. The district could face no increase in per pupil allocation, though they are hoping for an increase of $150.
"We're still watching that whole (state) budget picture play out very ardently because if the state goes to zero, we know zero is not zero. Our expenses go up every year so we are watching that and waiting for development," Borden said.
On Monday, the School Board approved the contracts for its 10 professional and technical employees, which includes positions such as the director of technology and communications. The board also approved 281 teacher contracts that equal 275.15 full-time equivalent employees.
- Danielle Switalski
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Faustel in Germantown welcomes John Pokrandt to controls engineering team
- Germantown Police Reports, Feb. 4, 2016 (1)
- Germantown School District reacts to scores on first, and last, Badger exam
- Germantown's Kennedy Middle School students make a difference on MLK day
- Germantown Police Reports, Jan. 28, 2016
- Firehouse Subs lends helping hand to Germantown Fire Department
- Germantown police seek shreds of evidence in cheese truck theft (3)
- Graphics Systems Corp. to move from Menomonee Falls into former Family Fun Land in Germantown
- Washington County debt reaches 25-year low
- Germantown's new business park remains unclaimed 18 months later