After more than two hours of discussion, the Germantown Village Board on Tuesday postponed the decision on a permit for a 150-foot cellphone tower on Wasaukee Road.
Instead of denying AT&T a conditional use permit for the tower and a wireless communication facility on a 25-acre parcel of land, the board directed AT&T to research whether it is feasible to both camouflage the tower and shorten it.
About a dozen residents addressed the board, voicing opposition to the cellphone tower saying it will be a visual eye sore and cause their property values to decrease. A handful of residents said reception is spotty in that area and the village needs to move into the future of cellphone and data usage, asking them to approve the permit.
Village Trustee Terri Kaminski made the motion to postpone the decision, saying if they vote on the 150-foot pole as presented it most likely would be denied. She wanted AT&T to have the ability to come back with options that would appease residents.
"This is the future - whether it's streaming movies or your kids in high school, virtual schools, a crisis where you have to reach your child - all these outlets are via cellphone," Kaminski said. "I would support this because this is life of the future and I don't think any of us in Germantown really want to be left behind."
Village Trustee Art Zabel requested that AT&T look at putting up a tower camouflaged as a silo to blend into the neighborhood.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Germantown School District approves less open enrollment, Chapter 220 seats for 2015-16
- Plans proceed for Donges Bay reconstruction in Germantown
- Germantown Police Report: Jan. 27, 2015
- Crowds turn out to discuss long-term plans for downtown Germantown
- New & Notes: Jan. 29, 2015
- Germantown businesses receive funding for workforce development
- Germantown Fire Department seeks to enlist additional paid-on-call staff
- Germantown Police Report: Jan. 22, 2015
- Germantown plan commission seeks input on plans for Main Street