Germantown - Incumbent Michael Loth has declared his candidacy to run for re-election to the school board in spring.
Loth, who serves as the board treasurer and chairman of the Finance and Transportation Committees, was elected to a one-year term in April 2012 and wishes to continue his position. Loth has two children currently attending school in the Germantown School District.
When Loth ran one year ago, he had four distinct goals that he will run with once more: No teacher layoffs like those that have occurred in other school districts, no reductions in extracurricular student programs, no new property taxes, and a reduction of costs wherever possible.
"There are difficult times ahead for the Germantown School District budget," Loth said. "The state sets many of the parameters that affect the Germantown school property tax levy. If the school board isn't careful with the budget, it could result in layoffs, something no one wants."
His decision to run again also came because several people in the community have shown support for his re-election.
Loth said the first year on the school board is a year of learning. With all the changes happening to the public school system in Wisconsin, Loth said he is up to the task of serving three more years and wants to continue to learn what it takes to be an effective board member.
"The average school board member serves just one three-year term in Wisconsin," Loth said. "I was surprised to learn that and I do not wish to lower the average by serving just one year."
By Danielle Switalski
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- 4 Things You Need to know about the changes to your trash pickup in Germantown
- Germantown police ask for help finding driver in fatal hit and run
- Germantown ACT scores second highest in 12 years (1)
- Germantown Police Reports: Sept. 3, 2015
- Germantown native works hard, gains experience at Arlington research station
- Germantown Police Reports: Aug. 27, 2015
- Germantown Police Department bids farewell to Lt. Brian Henning
- Germantown school district approves preliminary 2015-16 budget
- Germantown Police Reports: Aug. 20, 2015
- Village board to consider rezoning, conditional-use permit in September