Germantown - Incumbent Michael Loth has declared his candidacy to run for re-election to the school board in spring.
Loth, who serves as the board treasurer and chairman of the Finance and Transportation Committees, was elected to a one-year term in April 2012 and wishes to continue his position. Loth has two children currently attending school in the Germantown School District.
When Loth ran one year ago, he had four distinct goals that he will run with once more: No teacher layoffs like those that have occurred in other school districts, no reductions in extracurricular student programs, no new property taxes, and a reduction of costs wherever possible.
"There are difficult times ahead for the Germantown School District budget," Loth said. "The state sets many of the parameters that affect the Germantown school property tax levy. If the school board isn't careful with the budget, it could result in layoffs, something no one wants."
His decision to run again also came because several people in the community have shown support for his re-election.
Loth said the first year on the school board is a year of learning. With all the changes happening to the public school system in Wisconsin, Loth said he is up to the task of serving three more years and wants to continue to learn what it takes to be an effective board member.
"The average school board member serves just one three-year term in Wisconsin," Loth said. "I was surprised to learn that and I do not wish to lower the average by serving just one year."
By Danielle Switalski
- Germantown Police Reports, May 5, 2016
- Germantown Community Scholarship Fund provides unique experience for students, to host Mud Splash
- Germantown Police Reports, April 28, 2016
- Germantown Police Reports, April 21, 2016
- Sendik's celebrates 90th anniversary with special two-week event at its stores, including Germantown
- Washington County artists encouraged to participate in annual Art Purchase Award Contest
- Chaz Hastings proposes temporary parking lot to help with parking along Main Street in Germantown
- St. Boniface students donate hundreds of bears to Germantown Fire Department
- Germantown Police Reports, April 14, 2016
- Germantown High School presents Tony Award winning Gershwin production April 15 — 17