Germantown - After Germantown residents finish filling up at the pump, they can head inside and meander through liquor sections at gas stations throughout the village.
The Germantown Village Board on Monday approved an ordinance that allows the sale of beer, wine and liquor at gas stations.
The board began to debate the ordinance at a June 4 meeting after gas station owner Asif Vadsaria asked the village's Safety Committee if his business could sell alcohol to help boost revenue.
The village banned the ability for gas stations to sell alcohol more than two decades ago; however, stations already selling those beverages at the time were grandfathered in and could continue selling beer, wine and liquor.
The debate two weeks ago wasn't whether alcohol sales should be allowed once more, it was whether all alcohol should be allowed or just beer and wine. To keep in line with those businesses that were grandfathered in years ago, the board voted to allow the sale of beer, wine and liquor.
"I think part of the reasoning was there were already gas stations doing that and the board didn't want to put a two-tier system in," Village President Dean Wolter said.
The sale of alcohol will be regulated by state statutes, including the age of workers selling the beverages.
- Danielle Switalski
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Germantown school summit seeks to 'move beyond standardization into the future of learning for stude
- Germantown School Board reviewing options to address space issues
- Germantown, Washington County lifts burn ban
- Germantown Police Report: March 26, 2015
- Germantown school officials discuss options to alleviate overcrowding at Rockfield
- Germantown manufacturer recognized among best in country
- Germantown school board to get update on facilities plans
- Germantown Police Report: March 19, 2015
- Falls Village Board President candidates say they each would bring different experience to the role
- Germantown brings in third party to look at road improvements within TIF No. 6