Germantown - After Germantown residents finish filling up at the pump, they can head inside and meander through liquor sections at gas stations throughout the village.
The Germantown Village Board on Monday approved an ordinance that allows the sale of beer, wine and liquor at gas stations.
The board began to debate the ordinance at a June 4 meeting after gas station owner Asif Vadsaria asked the village's Safety Committee if his business could sell alcohol to help boost revenue.
The village banned the ability for gas stations to sell alcohol more than two decades ago; however, stations already selling those beverages at the time were grandfathered in and could continue selling beer, wine and liquor.
The debate two weeks ago wasn't whether alcohol sales should be allowed once more, it was whether all alcohol should be allowed or just beer and wine. To keep in line with those businesses that were grandfathered in years ago, the board voted to allow the sale of beer, wine and liquor.
"I think part of the reasoning was there were already gas stations doing that and the board didn't want to put a two-tier system in," Village President Dean Wolter said.
The sale of alcohol will be regulated by state statutes, including the age of workers selling the beverages.
- Danielle Switalski
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Police searching for two men in connection with armed robbery at a Craigslist sale
- Germantown to consider long-term plan for downtown district
- Germantown Police Report: September 11, 2014
- Germantown Plan Commission applauds design proposal
- Department of Transportation prepares for full closure of Highway 41
- Germantown school district seeks to continue improving ACT scores
- Germantown district pursues personalized learning options
- Germantown School District examines possible changes to employee handbook
- Reconstruction of Willow Creek Road in Germantown almost complete
- Germantown officials respond to mandated revaluation of village