Germantown - After Germantown residents finish filling up at the pump, they can head inside and meander through liquor sections at gas stations throughout the village.
The Germantown Village Board on Monday approved an ordinance that allows the sale of beer, wine and liquor at gas stations.
The board began to debate the ordinance at a June 4 meeting after gas station owner Asif Vadsaria asked the village's Safety Committee if his business could sell alcohol to help boost revenue.
The village banned the ability for gas stations to sell alcohol more than two decades ago; however, stations already selling those beverages at the time were grandfathered in and could continue selling beer, wine and liquor.
The debate two weeks ago wasn't whether alcohol sales should be allowed once more, it was whether all alcohol should be allowed or just beer and wine. To keep in line with those businesses that were grandfathered in years ago, the board voted to allow the sale of beer, wine and liquor.
"I think part of the reasoning was there were already gas stations doing that and the board didn't want to put a two-tier system in," Village President Dean Wolter said.
The sale of alcohol will be regulated by state statutes, including the age of workers selling the beverages.
- Danielle Switalski
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Germantown High School Key Club supports cause for ending world hunger, obesity
- Video: Students help break ground for Rockfield addition
- Germantown Police Reports: Nov. 26, 2015
- Momentum Early Learning to open by year-end in Germantown
- Three seats on Germantown School Board up for election in April
- Germantown High School students earn $100,000 grant for teen driving safety efforts
- Taxpayers in Germantown to see taxes creep up for '16
- Germantown officials approve zoning code changes prompted by controversial development proposal
- Longtime Germantown police officer, Korean War vet participates in Stars and Stripes Honor Flight
- Germantown Police Reports, Nov. 19, 2015